all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Corrupt colours with X.org
@ 2017-06-18 14:30 Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-06-18 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

I have tried installing GuixSD on my machine, an old Asus laptop, and
have completed the installation successfully.  But I had a problem with
some applications in X.org: when I set a bg image, and opened an
application (i.e. xterm), the colors of the bg image went weird, and
looked pinkish-reddish.  And the Icecat window too, had similarly
corrupt colours.  I had to quickly switch to another distro as this is
my only machine ATM, but I wanted to ask regardless to see if anybody
can tell me what might cause it, as in the coming days I'll have a spare
machine to retry an installation and test for a more extended period.
I'm sorry that I can't provide any screenshots or debugging information
ATM.  Thanks in advance,

Best,

	gk.

* Re: Corrupt colours with X.org
@ 2017-06-19 11:27 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-06-19 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Göktuğ Kayaalp; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> skribis:

> I have tried installing GuixSD on my machine, an old Asus laptop, and
> have completed the installation successfully.  But I had a problem with
> some applications in X.org: when I set a bg image, and opened an
> application (i.e. xterm), the colors of the bg image went weird, and
> looked pinkish-reddish.

Could you take a screenshot and post it to this list (shrink the image
so that it’s ~300K max)?

I’ve never heard of this kind of problem before.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Corrupt colours with X.org
@ 2017-06-19 15:15   ` Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-06-19 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

On 2017-06-19 13:27 +02, ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> skribis:
>
>> I have tried installing GuixSD on my machine, an old Asus laptop, and
>> have completed the installation successfully.  But I had a problem with
>> some applications in X.org: when I set a bg image, and opened an
>> application (i.e. xterm), the colors of the bg image went weird, and
>> looked pinkish-reddish.
>
> Could you take a screenshot and post it to this list (shrink the image
> so that it’s ~300K max)?

I had to switch to my previous OS for the moment.  I'll be able to retry
installing in the coming days though---I'll report here if the problem
persists or not---and also to debug if it persists as I'll have a spare
machine handy.

@ 2017-06-28  0:07     ` Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-06-28  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

On 2017-06-19 18:15 +03, Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> wrote:
> On 2017-06-19 13:27 +02, ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> skribis:
>>
>>> I have tried installing GuixSD on my machine, an old Asus laptop, and
>>> have completed the installation successfully.  But I had a problem with
>>> some applications in X.org: when I set a bg image, and opened an
>>> application (i.e. xterm), the colors of the bg image went weird, and
>>> looked pinkish-reddish.
>>
>> Could you take a screenshot and post it to this list (shrink the image
>> so that it’s ~300K max)?
>
> I had to switch to my previous OS for the moment.  I'll be able to retry
> installing in the coming days though---I'll report here if the problem
> persists or not---and also to debug if it persists as I'll have a spare
> machine handy.

I've been able to reproduce the issue, the linked video demonstrates
what happens [1].  When I open an xterm, the background becomes reddish,
the IceCat window has corrupt colours, wicd-gtk window has instead
correct colours.  The window manager is TWM, but the issue persists on
DWM too.  Find attached my configuration

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZoPeoVPI8g

>> I’ve never heard of this kind of problem before.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ludo’.
>
> Best,
>
>         gk.

[-- Attachment #2: User packages manifest --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1134 bytes --]

;; Guix user

(use-package-modules admin aspell autotools base curl dns emacs gimp gnupg
		     gnuzilla image-viewers libreoffice linux lisp mail python
		     perl ruby password-utils pkg-config ssh suckless tex texinfo
		     version-control video vim xiph xorg)

;; MISSING: bmake clamav spamassassin webalizer vorbisgain aspell-dict-{hy,pt-pt,tr}
;; TODO: cron syncthing emacs
(packages->manifest
 (list
   ;; Desktop:
   twm xterm dmenu xrdb xmodmap setxkbmap xsetroot
   ;; Version control:
   rcs mercurial git cvs subversion
   ;; Programming languages
   python python-pip python-virtualenv perl ruby sbcl
   ;; Emacs:
   emacs-pdf-tools
   ;; Security:
   openssh gnupg pinentry
   ;; Networking & mail:
   icecat curl mailutils (list isc-bind "utils") tcpdump
   ;; Images:
   gimp feh
   ;; Multimedia:
   vorbis-tools
   ;; Dictionaries:
   aspell aspell-dict-it aspell-dict-fr aspell-dict-en aspell-dict-el
   aspell-dict-de aspell-dict-grc aspell-dict-es
   ;; TeX TODO:
   ;; biber
   ;; Documentation:
   texinfo
   ;; Utilities:
   vim gnu-make ntfs-3g password-store automake autoconf pkg-config
   youtube-dl))

[-- Attachment #3: OS configuration --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1281 bytes --]

;; Goktug's Operating System

(use-modules (gnu))
(use-service-modules desktop networking ssh)
(use-package-modules admin certs dns)

(operating-system
 (host-name "xi.bootis")
 (timezone "Europe/Istanbul")
 (locale "en_GB.utf8")

 (bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/sda")))
 (swap-devices '("/dev/sda2"))
 (file-systems
  (cons*
   (file-system
    (device "/dev/sda1") (mount-point "/") (type "ext4")
    (needed-for-boot? #t))
   (file-system
    (device "/dev/sda5") (mount-point "/home") (type "ext4"))
   (file-system
    (device "/dev/sda6") (mount-point "/igk") (type "ext4")
    (create-mount-point? #t))
   %base-file-systems))

 (groups (cons* (user-group (name "g") (id 1993)) %base-groups))

 (users
  (cons*
   (user-account
    (comment "G K") (name "g") (group "g") (uid 1993)
    (create-home-directory? #f)
    (supplementary-groups '("users" "wheel" "audio" "video" "netdev"))
    (home-directory "/home/g"))
   %base-user-accounts))

 ;; Globally-installed packages.
 (packages (cons* wpa-supplicant-minimal nss-certs %base-packages))

 (services
  (cons*
   ;;(service nginx-service #:server-list '("/home/g/cf/deb/etc/nginx/sites-enabled/goktug"))
   (service openssh-service-type (openssh-configuration (port-number 22)))
   %desktop-services)))

* Re: Corrupt colours with X.org
@ 2017-06-28  0:12       ` Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-06-28  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

On 2017-06-28 03:07 +03, Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> wrote:
I've attached inline, sorry

This is the user manifest.

> ;; Guix user
>
> (use-package-modules admin aspell autotools base curl dns emacs gimp gnupg
> 		     gnuzilla image-viewers libreoffice linux lisp mail python

[...]

This the OS.  This and the previous are separate files.

> ;; Goktug's Operating System
>
> (use-modules (gnu))
> (use-service-modules desktop networking ssh)
> (use-package-modules admin certs dns)
>
> (operating-system
>  (host-name "xi.bootis")
>  (timezone "Europe/Istanbul")
>  (locale "en_GB.utf8")
>
>  (bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/sda")))
>  (swap-devices '("/dev/sda2"))
>  (file-systems
>   (cons*
>    (file-system
>     (device "/dev/sda1") (mount-point "/") (type "ext4")
>     (needed-for-boot? #t))
>    (file-system
>     (device "/dev/sda5") (mount-point "/home") (type "ext4"))
>    (file-system
>     (device "/dev/sda6") (mount-point "/igk") (type "ext4")
>     (create-mount-point? #t))
>    %base-file-systems))

This file system layout is not the actual layout I used, I've changed
it, but the rest is identical to the current system I use.

* Re: Corrupt colours with X.org
@ 2017-06-28 21:18       ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2017-06-28 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Göktuğ Kayaalp, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> writes:

> On 2017-06-19 18:15 +03, Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> wrote:
>> On 2017-06-19 13:27 +02, ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> skribis:

>>> Could you take a screenshot and post it to this list (shrink the image
>>> so that it’s ~300K max)?
>>
>> I had to switch to my previous OS for the moment.  I'll be able to retry
>> installing in the coming days though---I'll report here if the problem
>> persists or not---and also to debug if it persists as I'll have a spare
>> machine handy.
>
> I've been able to reproduce the issue, the linked video demonstrates
> what happens [1].  When I open an xterm, the background becomes reddish,
> the IceCat window has corrupt colours, wicd-gtk window has instead
> correct colours.  The window manager is TWM, but the issue persists on
> DWM too.  Find attached my configuration
>
> [1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZoPeoVPI8g

Can you post the output of "lspci |grep -i vga"? Which laptop is it?

Does the Ubuntu live USB image work?

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Corrupt colours with X.org
@ 2017-06-28 23:00         ` Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-06-28 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: help-guix

On 2017-06-28 23:18 +02, Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> wrote:
> Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com> writes:

>>> I had to switch to my previous OS for the moment.  I'll be able to retry
>>> installing in the coming days though---I'll report here if the problem
>>> persists or not---and also to debug if it persists as I'll have a spare
>>> machine handy.
>>
>> I've been able to reproduce the issue, the linked video demonstrates
>> what happens [1].  When I open an xterm, the background becomes reddish,
>> the IceCat window has corrupt colours, wicd-gtk window has instead
>> correct colours.  The window manager is TWM, but the issue persists on
>> DWM too.  Find attached my configuration
>>
>> [1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZoPeoVPI8g
>
> Can you post the output of "lspci |grep -i vga"? Which laptop is it?

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RC410M [Mobility Radeon Xpress 200M]

It's an Asus X51RL.  Also the computer wakes up to a blank screen w/o
wifi.  I guess it's the kernel probably, and I'll have to configure and
compile mine.

> Does the Ubuntu live USB image work?

I used to run Lubuntu as my daily driver on this laptop w/o any
problems.  Also FreeBSD w/ X11.