Ludovic Courtès writes: > Jeremiah@pdp10.guru skribis: > >>> So if you like, please make that change. There is only one little >>> thing: I have no (scripted) recipe to create mescc-tools-seed-XYZ. But >>> wait: I have a great excuse for that...I was too lazy or too sloppy. >> >> I do, in mescc-tools-seed; the script bootstrap.sh when run with the >> option "sin" will build the mescc-tools-seed binaries using mescc-tools. >> The .M1 files are always generated by cc_x86.s using the C source files. > > I saw this script but it’s not entirely clear to me how to package the > whole thing. We don’t have a “stage0” package for instance in Guix, do > we? I had a look but it seems we need either binary seeds for stage0, or binary seeds for mescc-tools and I'd rather build them within Guix; so that's what I did now. >>> WDYT? >> I think we will end up having several versions of mescc-tools-seed; as >> each architecture guix supports will end up needing a variant if we plan >> on keeping them small. (I also have no idea how to make a multi-arch fat >> elf binary) > > For now let’s focus on x86_64/i686. :-) > > IMO we should change the seeds as rarely as possible because they are > managed “out-of-band” and verifying them is difficult (you need to fetch > the right Guix commit, run “guix build bootstrap-tarballs”, and compare > the result—assuming this is all bit-reproducible.) > > The one we’re using today in Guix date back to 2013. Okay, I am proposing the attached patches, also available on my core-updates-next at http://gitlab.com/janneke/guix Still I hope these won't last for five more years ;-) janneke.