On 2019-02-12, Leo Famulari wrote: > On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 12:16:42AM -0800, Vagrant Cascadian wrote: >> On 2019-02-12, Julien Lepiller wrote: >> >>+ (synopsis "Compare files and archives in depth") > > This synopsis doesn't make clear that this is a client for a remote > service. Can you rewrite it? > >> >>+ (description >> >>+ "This is a minimal diffoscope client that connects to the >> >>service: > > Also, I think it's better to replace "diffoscope client" with something > like "client for the remote diffoscope service located at [...]" since > diffoscope is not inherently a client-service tool. Also it would be > great to mention the full diffoscope package :) > > Can you send an updated patch? >> > Iiuc, this is a client to connect to a service that runs diffoscope >> > for you. But we already have diffoscope, so what's the point? >> >> Yes, that's the jist of it. The main advantage is that it has a much >> smaller dependency chain locally. >> >> I find it useful on some of the not-particularly-fast ARM systems I've >> been running GNU Guix, where storage may be limited or slow, and >> substitutes may not be available as often, and build times >> are... remarkable. > > Yes, and diffoscope runs can also be really expensive. It's nice to > offload them. > > Also, if the service makes statements about whether submissions are > logged or made public, can you put that in the package description? I couldn't really think of a straightforward way to mention the diffoscope package, but the attached patch updates the synopsis and description to address the other mentioned issues. >> > What do you think? > > We can have SaaSS in Guix. There are already some packages that are > SaaSS. So I think this package is okay. > > It's "extra okay" in my opinion since the service is AGPL, part of > Debian, and we have a package for the tool in question. > > Guix is developed under the Free System Distribution Guidelines, which > don't mention remote services or SaaSS at all: > > https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.en.html > > And some discussion on the subject of services in the context of free > software that largely reflect how we handle SaaSS in Guix: > > https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/network-services-arent-free-or-nonfree.en.html Thanks for sharing your perspective and links to further reading on these issues! It really helps to get a feel for the norms of the project. live well, vagrant