Resending to correct list... On 2020-06-08, Vagrant Cascadian wrote: > On 2020-04-17, Mark H Weaver wrote: >> Vagrant Cascadian wrote: >>> I think the patcset now needs some minor updates to apply to master, but >>> just wondering when we could consider switching to 5.6... ? >> >> I do not wish to be a blocker on this, and moreover I would welcome it >> if someone else would step up to take over maintenance of our kernel >> packages. > > Thanks for all your work! > > I've just pushed the source update for 5.7.1 (and packages for > linux-libre-arm*-generic)... > > >> However, I should say that for all previous kernel upgrades, I have >> taken the time to consider each of the new configuration options >> presented by "make oldconfig" and to try make a sensible choice for each >> one. I have not found it sufficient to rely on the automatically >> selected choices, which very often default to "no" for modules that >> ought to be included, and occasionally default to "yes" for options that >> are contrary to our commitment to the GNU FSDG. >> >> I will leave it up to the Guix maintainers to decide what to do if no >> one volunteers to take up the job of properly updating our default >> kernel configurations. > > I still do not have the the time, ability or confidence to review > updating the configs for multiple architectures... > > I wasn't able to produce a working config for 5.7.x on x86_64 (issues > with graphics on intel prevented sway from loading), let alone one that > has been scrutinized for correctness in terms of GNU FSDG. > > Can anyone else step in to help with reviewing kernel config updates? > > Alternately, is it plausible to work out a blacklist/whitelist feature > for options that can get updated more dynamically that a whole kernel > config? That's well outside my skillset in terms of guile, but that > might be a more maintainable option for the future... > > > live well, > vagrant