all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org>
To: Bone Baboon <bone.baboon@disroot.org>
Cc: 48214@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#48214: inetutils-1.9.4 build fails
Date: Sat, 08 May 2021 14:53:28 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

Bone Baboon <bone.baboon@disroot.org> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès writes:
>>> How can I use a package definition from core-updates with guix build or
>>> in a system configuration if it is not available on Guix's master
>>> branch?
>>
>> You can do better :-), you can install 2.0 from master like so:
>>
>>   guix install inetutils --with-latest=inetutils
>
> Thank you for sharing that command.
>
> I prefer to build locally over using substitutes.  When I try to run
> `guix build inetutils --no-substitutes --with-latest=inetutils` it does
> not complete because there is an interactive prompt.  The prompt says
> "Would you like to add this key to your keyring
> '<path/to/trustedkeys.kbx>'?".  I have a substitute server that is
> sequentially building packages unattended and this would cause it to
> become stuck and make no further progress.

The interactive prompt is about authenticate the source code tarball,
inetutils-2.0.tar.gz.  It does not relate to substitutes.

>>> On the inetutils mailing list it was suggested that I try inetutils 2.0
>>> on the core-updates branch.  I can successfully build inetutils 2.0 from
>>> the core-updates branch even with IPv6 disabled.
>>>
>>> What is the purpose of the core-updates branch?
>>
>> The ‘core-updates’ branch contains updates to core packages and core
>> Guix functionality that entails a rebuild of all the packages.  In that
>> branch we put package upgrades that would otherwise lead to too many
>> rebuilds (info "(guix) Submitting Patches").
>
> Thank you for explaining this.
>
> ---
>
> What is the process for a package to be brought into master from core-updates?

Submitting a patch the usual way, but making it clear in the subject
line that it targets ‘core-updates’.

> I would rebuild all the packages on my system if I could use inetutils
> 2.0.  Is there a way that I can rebuild all the packages I am using that
> depend on inetutils to use inetutils 2.0 (or more generally any newer
> version of package from core-updates)?

You could maintain your own branch where the default inetutils is 2.0.

>>> Can the Guix master branch provide inetutils 2.0 instead of 1.9.4?
>>
>> No: ‘guix refresh -l inetutils’ shows that almost 2,000 packages depend
>> on inetutils.
>>
>> That said, if needed, ‘master’ could provide 2.0 in addition to 1.9, as
>> is done for GDB for instance.
>
> Would having multiple versions of inetutils in master also create
> multiple versions of packages that depend on inetutils for example a
> version of isc-dhcp that depends on inetutils 1.9 and another that
> depends on inetutils 2.0?

No; what I suggest above would just address the case where people run
‘guix install inetutils’ or it could change the one in
/run/current-system/profile.

> Not having inetutils 2.0 in master appears to break how I connect to the
> internet using Guix if I do both of these:
> * Disable IPv6
> ** See my previous email in this thread that explains the rationale on
>    why I am disabling IPv6.
> * Build from source
>
> isc-dhcp fails to build because it depends on inetutils 1.9 which is
> failing.  I am using isc-dhcp when I connecting to the internet.

Unfortunately I don’t have a good solution for you.  :-/

We could change isc-dhcp in ‘master’ so that it depends on inetutils
2.0, but that looks like a band-aid.

Thanks,
Ludo’.