Dear Tobias, thank you for your fast and comprehensive answer. On arch I never had any problem; it was on debian 11 that the packages were outdated. However I did a guix pull and now icecat is recent. Curious if I forgot to do so the last time I tried to install icecat 91 I looked at my bash history. And that's what I found: > 1157 guix pull > 1158 echo $PATH > 1159 source .bashrc > 1160 [...] > 1161 echo $PATH > 1162 [...] > 1163 guix > 1164 guix --help > 1165 guix pull > 1166 guix install icecat > 1167 guix search icecat It looks as if guix first was not found but then it was found an I definitively did a pull before trying to install icecat 91. But it was only the older version that was found by guix. That was why I did the search command later on. Strange! Anyway, now it works. Cheers, Alex On Do, Nov 11 2021, 12:45:58, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote: > Alexander, > > I don't have personal experience but think it likely that > Trisquel/Debian is used by more contributors than Arch, which means > that integration bugs are more likely to be noticed and fixed. The > difference shouldn't be significant, and we're always open to bug > reports from Guix on other GNU/Linux distributions. Most contributors > run Guix System. > > However: > > On 2021-11-11 11:59, Alexander Asteroth wrote: >> I've tried >> arch and debian 11 and noticed that the packages available in Guix >> under >> arch are way more recent (e.g icecat 91 vs 6x) and more in general. > > Something's wrong. Guix provides a single rolling release across all > Guix Systems and foreign distributions. > > The 'guix' packages for foreign distributions install an older > snapshot of Guix which sets up the daemon and puts a 'guix' command in > the global $PATH. > > Users are expected to run 'guix pull' (similar to 'pacman -S' but per > user--never sudo!) to update it. This will update both guix itself > and the list of availabe packages. > >> Also I'm asking myself how Guix deals with different >> systems/kernels/base installations and how it decides which packages >> will work? > > It doesn't. Either your Arch system isn't properly configured so that > 'command -v guix' returns ~/.config/guix/current/bin/guix, or you > haven't run 'guix pull' to create or update that copy of guix. > > If you have run 'guix pull' and still see outdated packages, let us > know. There's something wrong with the system then. > >> Isn't there any dependence? Is this documented somewhere? > > Once installed, Guix expects little more from the host system than a > reasonably modern Linux kernel (supporting certain namespaces, > syscalls & the like) and minimal configuration like a running Guix > daemon, the guixbuild* users, mounted /dev, etc. I don't think these > are formally documented in a single place. > > If available, the 'guix' package on a foreign distribution will set > that up for you: it can depend on foreign packages, set up > users/groups, support uninstallation, etc., in a cleaner way than the > guix-install.sh shell script can. > > Kind regards, > > T G-R > > Sent from a Web browser. Excuse or enjoy my brevity.