all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Freely available Jami video-conference channel for those interested
@ 2021-11-20  5:04 Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2021-11-20  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Guix,

Disclaimer: my employer is Savoir-faire Linux, which oversees the
development of Jami.

For a while, I've toyed with the idea that we could leverage Jami for
our video-conference needs, and contributed a jami-service-type a few
months ago to ease doing so [0].

A service is not strictly needed to setup a video-conferencing server
(later referred as a "rendezvous point") with Jami [1], it increases
availability and can be used without a normal user session.  It also
provides some isolation from the main system since it runs in a separate
namespace (container), at least on Guix System.

The main challenges for a decent experience with the Jami rendezvous
point feature is its resource requirements; as the number of
participants grow, so does the required amount of network bandwidth and
CPU power.

As some kind of technology preview, I'd like to offer a freely available
Jami rendezvous point.  Using either the jami-gnome or jami-qt client
available in Guix, you can connect to it by searching for the
'rdv-jami-guix' contact and initiating a call.  Participants' audio and
video streams will automatically be mixed and streamed by the server.

On a Guix System, installing it to your user profile should suffice.  On
a foreign distribution, you'll have to resort to a more complicated
launch procedure, thanks to D-Bus configuration [2].  Something like this
should work:

$ guix shell jami-gnome dbus glib gtk+ openssl nss-certs \
    -- dbus-run-session jami-gnome

I hope it proves useful in fostering more live collaboration in the
community!  Extra rendezvous points could also be deployed if needed.
If the experience is successful we could seek a better place to host
such service for the community (where it could be managed by the
collective of Guix sysadmins rather than myself for example).

Happy hacking,

Maxim

[0]  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=69dcc24c9f0cdfea674eb690e7755d26a25ced2b
[1]  https://jami.net/help/#answer14
[2]  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48538

* Re: Freely available Jami video-conference channel for those interested
@ 2021-11-20  6:40 ` Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski @ 2021-11-20  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Maxim Cournoyer, help-guix

This is very cool !

Congratulations for the work !

Jérémy

* Re: Freely available Jami video-conference channel for those interested
@ 2021-11-21  2:49   ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2021-11-21  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski <jeremy@korwin-zmijowski.fr> writes:

> This is very cool !

Thank you :-).  It was a difficult service to tackle (with the D-Bus
requirement and D-Bus communication); I especially struggled with making
it rock solid in terms of being able to restart it without any glitch
(the test suite verifies this).

I hope it can be useful!

Maxim

* Re: Freely available Jami video-conference channel for those interested
@ 2021-11-21 20:39 ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2021-11-21 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: help-guix

Hi, Maxim.

On Saturday, November 20th, 2021 at 5:04 AM, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> As some kind of technology preview, I'd like to offer a freely available
>

> Jami rendezvous point. Using either the jami-gnome or jami-qt client
>

> available in Guix, you can connect to it by searching for the
>

> 'rdv-jami-guix' contact and initiating a call.

Thanks. I just added it to my contacts. I hope I can get a mic [and camera] soon to try it out.

[-- Attachment #1.2: publickey - luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com - 0x12DE1598.asc --]

* Re: Freely available Jami video-conference channel for those interested
@ 2021-11-21 21:39 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-11-21 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer, help-guix

Hi Maxim,

Really cool!  Thanks!

On Sat, 20 Nov 2021 at 00:04, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> On a Guix System, installing it to your user profile should suffice.  On
> a foreign distribution, you'll have to resort to a more complicated
> launch procedure, thanks to D-Bus configuration [2].  Something like this
> should work:
>
> $ guix shell jami-gnome dbus glib gtk+ openssl nss-certs \
>     -- dbus-run-session jami-gnome

It seems to work like a charm.  \o/

Thanks again for sharing this resource.

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Freely available Jami video-conference channel for those interested
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-11-22 23:29 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-11-22 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer, help-guix

Hi Maxim,

On Sat, 20 Nov 2021 at 00:04, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> $ guix shell jami-gnome dbus glib gtk+ openssl nss-certs \
>     -- dbus-run-session jami-gnome
>
> I hope it proves useful in fostering more live collaboration in the
> community!  Extra rendezvous points could also be deployed if needed.
> If the experience is successful we could seek a better place to host
> such service for the community (where it could be managed by the
> collective of Guix sysadmins rather than myself for example).

It works very well – on foreign distro at least. :-) We tried this
evening with Julien.  Well, it is probably because long-distance, we
noticed a delay between sound and video.

I hope hack sessions will be organize soon.  Ah, just for my
information, is it possible to share a screen or something?

Thanks for sharing this very useful resource.

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Freely available Jami video-conference channel for those interested
@ 2021-11-23  2:14   ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2021-11-23  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: help-guix

Hello Simon,

> Hi Maxim,
>
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2021 at 00:04, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> $ guix shell jami-gnome dbus glib gtk+ openssl nss-certs \
>>     -- dbus-run-session jami-gnome
>>
>> I hope it proves useful in fostering more live collaboration in the
>> community!  Extra rendezvous points could also be deployed if needed.
>> If the experience is successful we could seek a better place to host
>> such service for the community (where it could be managed by the
>> collective of Guix sysadmins rather than myself for example).
>
> It works very well – on foreign distro at least. :-) We tried this
> evening with Julien.  Well, it is probably because long-distance, we
> noticed a delay between sound and video.

Thanks for the feedback!  I'm glad it worked OK.  Audio and video
synchronization issues are relatively common in Jami (I'm guessing it's
a difficult problem!), especially on systems lacking video acceleration
(such as mine -- GPU vendors typically require binary blobs to drive
their video decoders).  Where video acceleration is possible, I think it
takes care of the synchronization problem itself, which explains why it
often works better there.

> I hope hack sessions will be organize soon.  Ah, just for my
> information, is it possible to share a screen or something?

Yes, both desktop clients (GNOME and Qt) support it.

> Thanks for sharing this very useful resource.

My pleasure!  I'm happy to hear it may be put to good use!

Maxim

* Re: Freely available Jami video-conference channel for those interested
@ 2021-11-23 12:06     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-11-23 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Maxim,

On Mon, 22 Nov 2021 at 21:14, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I hope hack sessions will be organize soon.  Ah, just for my
>> information, is it possible to share a screen or something?
>
> Yes, both desktop clients (GNOME and Qt) support it.

Ah yeah, right-click on the video call screen.  It was not obvious. :-)
I was expecting a button bottom. ;-)

Thanks,
simon

* Re: Freely available Jami video-conference channel for those interested
@ 2021-11-23 21:28       ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2021-11-23 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Simon,

> Hi Maxim,
>
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2021 at 21:14, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I hope hack sessions will be organize soon.  Ah, just for my
>>> information, is it possible to share a screen or something?
>>
>> Yes, both desktop clients (GNOME and Qt) support it.
>
> Ah yeah, right-click on the video call screen.  It was not obvious. :-)
> I was expecting a button bottom. ;-)

The UI is decidedly not without its quirks, especially the GNOME client.
jami-qt on the other hand (which is to become the flagship Jami client)
has had the attention of a professional UI designer so it is more
intuitive and polished in my opinion.

Happy conferencing ;-)

Maxim