On 2021-12-17 15:21, Xinglu Chen wrote: > Hi, > > On Wed, Dec 15 2021, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > >> Hi Andrew, >> >> One service I miss for Guix Home is ‘home-ssh-service-type’, which is in >> the “original” Guix Home. >> >> Could you contribute a patch adding it? (I could do it on your behalf, >> but it sounds more logical to let you handle it.) > > Being the original author, I will hopefully try to work on it soon. :-) > It works for me. Would be very glad if you accomplish it. >> Also, could you (or Xinglu, or Oleg) write a blog post for >> guix.gnu.org, targeting an audience who’s not familiar with this kind >> of tool, making it clear what the rationale is and what it can bring >> to “normal users”? It would be really helpful to have that published >> within a couple of weeks or so, before the next release. > > That sounds like a good idea, I would be happy to help! > I will make a patch with skeleton of the post and will send it to you and mailing list for review and discussion. I think it is the easiest way to cooperate on a blog post. >> Last, it’d be great to see the three of you (and more people!) back in >> action regarding Guix Home. I understand that life sometimes gets in >> the way, but it seems that there’s been some confusion as to how to go >> forward—e.g., —which may partly >> explain why things stalled. If there are patches waiting for review, >> also don’t hesitate to ping! > > Yeah, apologies for not being very active in the last few months. > > I think one of the problems is that there is not really any style guide > for now to write services (I do have a WIP patch in my local tree that > will document most of (gnu services configuration) though :-)). We also > lack a way to properly test home services; we would need something > similar to what Nix Home-manager has[1][2]. > > [1]: Nix code for configuring a program > > [2]: Expected content of the serialized configuration > > Yep, having a workflow for writing guix service's tests will be also cool. I see a few files in test/services/, but it doesn't seem to have a well-established approach, just a few functional tests. -- Best regards, Andrew Tropin