On 2023-07-31, Wilko Meyer wrote: > Hi, > > Distopico writes: > >> 2. Do you see developers as a potential target audience for Guix, or is >> it mainly focused on HPC (High-Performance Computing)? > > Developers is a pretty broad and generic term to start with. Considering > Guix is somewhat of a general purpose package manager/Guix System a > general purpose distribution, I think the better question to ask, > instead of asking for target audiences, is, how and in what way Guix > features and concepts can aid and help with hacking on software. HPC is > an area where Guix can be put to good use, but it's also a reasoanble > choice for other areas as well I'd argue. > I believe one area for improvement is the possibility of having tools and the compiler sharing common ground. For example, rust-1.6 with rust-analyzer-1.6 with version 20220809 and rust-1.7 with rust-analyzer-1.7 with version 20230911. In that case, similar to rustup, we could do guix shell rust@1.6.8 rust-analyzer@20230911. In Haskell, a similar issue occurs, where haskell-language-server, e.g., version 1.3, only works with specific GHC versions. > IMHO Guix has plenty of useful features that, in my opinion, can be put > to good use in the process of developing software. I *mostly* work with > C and Rust, as well as Perl, and less frequently, Python and CommonLisp; > so my experience with Guix is mostly limited to these languages. > How is your workflow with rust? I mean you use --container to just download `rustup` and install it in the container? > Using a guix.scm file for projects to provide a good way to spin up a > development environment fast/to onboard new people, and make use of guix > shell (mostly with --container) while working on software; are probably > my most used features in that regards. > I do that as well, but in mostly of the cases just for me because other team member can use it due is Gnu/Linux only, could be good have something like emacs cross-platform. > Best Regards, > Thank you for the reponse. > Wilko Meyer