Hi Dave, Dave Love skribis: > Ludovic Courtès writes: > >> Ping! :-) >> > I think I was waiting for an explanation You didn’t ask though, did you? ;-) > of the doc string rules for translation, and why they seem to be > different from what gettext say in terms of placeholders in format > strings. I think that needs documenting anyhow. In po/packages/Makevars, we define only two keywords for translatable strings: ‘synopsis’ and ‘description’. Thus, xgettext will extract this string: (synopsis "This is translatable") but it will not extract this: (synopsis (string-append "This is " "not translatable")) I’ve added a note in the manual (below). HTH, Ludo’.