Hi Caleb, thank you very much for the technocal details of the garbage collection process! Caleb Ristvedt writes: > Björn Höfling writes: > >> Why does that take soo long? > > Warning: technical overview follows. > > It takes so long because after the garbage collection pass it then does > a *full* pass over the /gnu/store/.links directory. Which is huge. [...] >> Or better: Is it save here to just hit CTRL-C (and let the daemon work >> in background, or whatever)? > > I expect that CTRL-C at that point would cause the guix process to > terminate, closing its connection to the daemon. I don't believe the > daemon uses asynchronous I/O [...] IMHO both this questions/anwsers should start a brand new "Guix FAQ" texinfo document :-) I'll try to bootstrap one if I can Thanks! Giovanni -- Giovanni Biscuolo Xelera IT Infrastructures