all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* spacemacs doesn't have the correct PATH when I change HOME
@ 2019-09-23 22:44 Jesse Gibbons
From: Jesse Gibbons @ 2019-09-23 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I need spacemacs for a class, but I want to keep my emacs settings, so I
setup a script as described in the FAQ to separate emacs from spacemacs. The
script sets HOME to $HOME/spacemacs and calls emacs. It appears that guix
recalculates PATH when I call the script, so it cannot packages like git in
my profile.
I have identified three possible solutions, but I need a little information
to accomplish each:
1. Is there a way to preserve my profile in the PATH environment variable? I
tried $HOME/spacemacs/.bashrc but it isn't called. (solution 0)
2. Is there a way to setup a local profile in $HOME/spacemacs so emacs will
be able to locate the packages it needs? (solution 1)
3. How hard would it be to define a spacemacs package with the binary
renamed "spacemacs" so I won't have to use the script? (solution 2)
Thanks,
-Jesse

* Re: spacemacs doesn't have the correct PATH when I change HOME
@ 2019-09-24 13:09 ` Jeff Bauer
From: Jeff Bauer @ 2019-09-24 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 04:44:12PM -0600, Jesse Gibbons wrote:
> I need spacemacs for a class, but I want to keep my emacs settings, so I
> setup a script as described in the FAQ to separate emacs from spacemacs. The
> script sets HOME to $HOME/spacemacs and calls emacs. It appears that guix
> recalculates PATH when I call the script, so it cannot packages like git in
> my profile.
> I have identified three possible solutions, but I need a little information
> to accomplish each:
> 1. Is there a way to preserve my profile in the PATH environment variable? I
> tried $HOME/spacemacs/.bashrc but it isn't called. (solution 0)
> 2. Is there a way to setup a local profile in $HOME/spacemacs so emacs will
> be able to locate the packages it needs? (solution 1)
> 3. How hard would it be to define a spacemacs package with the binary
> renamed "spacemacs" so I won't have to use the script? (solution 2)

Jesse:

I'm using spacemacs with guix, but not dual emacs/spacemacs.  Some
resources (which you may have already encountered):

https://www.reddit.com/r/spacemacs/comments/88poow/how_can_i_run_spacemacs_and_emacs_side_by_side/

(ihsec = I hate switching emacs environments)

https://github.com/daedreth/ihsec

I don't think your 3rd approach makes sense, as spacemacs
is just emacs with a different configuration.

-Jeff

* Re: spacemacs doesn't have the correct PATH when I change HOME
@ 2019-09-24 14:55   ` Jesse Gibbons
From: Jesse Gibbons @ 2019-09-24 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 2019-09-24 at 08:09 -0500, Jeff Bauer wrote:

> Jesse:
>
> I'm using spacemacs with guix, but not dual emacs/spacemacs.  Some
> resources (which you may have already encountered):
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/spacemacs/comments/88poow/how_can_i_run_spacemacs
> _and_emacs_side_by_side/
>
> (ihsec = I hate switching emacs environments)
>
> https://github.com/daedreth/ihsec
>
> I don't think your 3rd approach makes sense, as spacemacs
> is just emacs with a different configuration.
>
> -Jeff
Isn't guile-studio just emacs with a different configuration? Yet it is
packaged.

I see it runs a configure file at build time that generates a wrapper script
to load guile-studio.el on launch.[0] Is there a reason to suspect a similar
script wouldn't work for spacemacs? I think I will try that when I have
time, and if it works I'll look into building a spacemacs package.

[0] https://git.elephly.net/gitweb.cgi?p=software/guile-studio.git;a=blob;f=
guile-studio-configure.scm
--

@ 2019-09-24 16:22   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-09-24 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jeff,

Jeff Bauer <jeffrubic@gmail.com> skribis:

> I'm using spacemacs with guix,

Do you know what it would take to integrate Spacemacs and Guix?

My understanding is that Spacemacs relies on ‘package.el’ to fetch
packages, right?  Would it be possible to have it use Emacs-Guix
instead?

Uh, sorry for derailing the conversation.  :-P

Ludo’.