Ludovic Courtès writes: > Hello Simon! > > Simon Josefsson skribis: > >> I'm not sure how to best find out what tools are actually used by Guix, >> but on my system the following tools appear to be installed: >> >> root@hamster ~# ls -la /run/current-system/profile/*bin/|grep net-tool|awk '{ print $9 }' >> netstat >> route >> arp >> ipmaddr >> iptunnel >> mii-tool >> nameif >> plipconfig >> rarp >> slattach >> root@hamster ~# >> >> Is anything else from net-tools used? >> >> Most of the tools are esoteric. I suspect the more well-known tools are >> 'route', 'netstat', 'arp' and 'rarp'. > > Of these I use ‘netstat’ regularly, and ‘route’ sometimes. I've finally gotten used to 'ss' to the point where I reach for it before 'netstat'. It's also shorter to type, like 'ip r' vs 'route'. >> My Debian buster laptop has none of the tools above installed. In fact, >> the net-tools package is not even installed by default. It seems all >> uses have transitioned over to the modern 'iproute' suite. >> >> Thus, I suggest Guix drop net-tools from its required tools. People who >> are nostalgic about the tools can install them separately, just like on >> Debian. > > That sounds reasonable to me. > > Any objections, people? If not let’s do that. None from me, I've considered this in the past too.