On Sat, Jun 05 2021, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > Hi Xinglu, > > Xinglu Chen skribis: > >> * doc/guix.texi (package Reference): Describe how packages that lack a release >> or are pinned to an unreleased version should specify the ‘version’ field. >> Add documentation for the ‘git-version’ procedure. > > [...] > >> @item @code{version} >> -The version of the package, as a string. >> +The version of the package, as a string. If there are no releases of >> +the package, or a unreleased version is desired, the version should >> +contain @samp{@var{VERSION}-@var{REVISION}.@var{COMMIT}}. @var{VERSION} >> +is the version of the package, and @var{REVISION} is the revision of the >> +Guix package (@code{0} if it is a new package). Whenever the package is >> +updated to a newer version the revision should also be bumped to reflect >> +the fact that package has been updated. If the fetch method for the >> +package is @code{git-fetch} or @code{hg-fetch} (@pxref{origin >> +Reference}), @var{COMMIT} should be the @dfn{commit} or @dfn{changeset} >> +corresponding to the version, it should only contain 7 characters. If >> +the fetch method is @code{git-fetch}, there is the @code{git-version} >> +procedure (see below) that makes it easier to specify the version. >> +Packages which use @code{svn-fetch} or @code{bzr-fetch} should set >> +@var{COMMIT} to the same value as the @code{revision} field in >> +@code{svn-reference} or @code{bzr-reference}. > > The text LGTM, but I think “package Reference” is the wrong place for > it: it’s the reference, whereas the text above is a guideline. > > The “Version Numbers” section under “Packaging Guidelines” already > touches this topic. Perhaps we need to expand it and/or link to it from > “package Reference”, like: > > @item @code{version} > The version of the package, as a string. @xref{Version Numbers}, for > guidelines. > > The ‘git-version’ procedure could be documented in “Version Numbers” > too. > > WDYT? Ah, I totally missed the “Version Numbers” section, it looks like it already all the information I was looking for. Since ‘hg-version’ was just added, I will mention it as well. :)