all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#22548: Kernel panic after system reconfiguration
       [not found] <56B22F15.8050207@fripost.org>
@ 2016-02-03 18:18 ` Albin
From: Albin @ 2016-02-03 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 22548

Hi,

With no other changes I just ran guix pull and guix system reconfigure
on my MacBook2,1 which created an unbootable system.

After having completed the reconfiguration I tried to halt and reboot
the system but got this error message each time :

> error: connect: /var/run/shepherd/socket: file or directory does not exist

I did a hard shutdown and rebooted.

Here is a picture of the kernel panic screen:
https://lut.im/h3kmF9hN8D/pnbWoVVQWj7QYPkr.jpg

This is my system configuration:
http://paste.lisp.org/display/306452

The OS was quite bootable after my last reconfiguration on January 26.

Albin

* bug#22548: Kernel panic after system reconfiguration
@ 2016-02-03 21:08   ` Albin
From: Albin @ 2016-02-03 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 22548

Hi again,

I got rid of the kernel panic by removing the following from the config
and reconfiguring (as suggested by Mark Weaver):

> (swap-devices '("/swapfile"))

It would be nice to be able to enable swap again though. On my system it
needs to be done with a swap file.

Albin

@ 2016-02-03 22:05   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-02-03 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Albin; +Cc: 22548

Albin <albin@fripost.org> skribis:

> With no other changes I just ran guix pull and guix system reconfigure
> on my MacBook2,1 which created an unbootable system.
>
> After having completed the reconfiguration I tried to halt and reboot
> the system but got this error message each time :
>
>> error: connect: /var/run/shepherd/socket: file or directory does not exist
>
> I did a hard shutdown and rebooted.

Apologies, that’s the aftermath of the dmd → shepherd transition.

The solution was to run /run/booted-system/profile/sbin/reboot, which
would have been able to the running dmd (whereas after reconfiguration,
‘reboot’ was the new Shepherd client, which cannot talk to the old dmd.)

> Here is a picture of the kernel panic screen:
> https://lut.im/h3kmF9hN8D/pnbWoVVQWj7QYPkr.jpg
>
> This is my system configuration:
> http://paste.lisp.org/display/306452
>
> The OS was quite bootable after my last reconfiguration on January 26.

I don’t see anything immediately obvious.  I tried your config in ‘guix
system vm’ and it works fine, so perhaps the problem has to do with
device mapping or similar.

How did you set up the encrypted root partition?  Did you use ‘guix
system reconfigure --no-grub’ and a hand-made grub.cfg?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* bug#22548: Kernel panic after system reconfiguration
@ 2016-02-03 22:14     ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2016-02-03 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Albin; +Cc: 22548

Albin <albin@fripost.org> writes:

> Hi again,
>
> I got rid of the kernel panic by removing the following from the config
> and reconfiguring (as suggested by Mark Weaver):
>
>> (swap-devices '("/swapfile"))
>
> It would be nice to be able to enable swap again though. On my system it
> needs to be done with a swap file.

I suspect this never worked, but that before the error was silently
ignored.  In my case, I had:

  (swap-devices '("/dev/disk/by-label/jojen-swap"))

and /dev/disk went away at some point due to another problem.  For a
long time, I simply had no swap.  With the dmd -> shepherd transition,
it started causing a fatal error during boot, leading to a kernel panic.
Unfortunately, the error message scrolled off the screen very quickly,
obscured by a useless kernel backtrace.

      Mark

* bug#22548: Kernel panic after system reconfiguration
@ 2016-02-03 22:45       ` Albin
From: Albin @ 2016-02-03 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: 22548

Hi,

Den 2016-02-03 kl. 23:14, skrev Mark H Weaver:
> Albin <albin@fripost.org> writes:
>
>> Hi again,
>>
>> I got rid of the kernel panic by removing the following from the config
>> and reconfiguring (as suggested by Mark Weaver):
>>
>>> (swap-devices '("/swapfile"))
>>
>> It would be nice to be able to enable swap again though. On my system it
>> needs to be done with a swap file.
>
> I suspect this never worked, but that before the error was silently
> ignored.  In my case, I had:
>
>   (swap-devices '("/dev/disk/by-label/jojen-swap"))
>
> and /dev/disk went away at some point due to another problem.  For a
> long time, I simply had no swap.  With the dmd -> shepherd transition,
> it started causing a fatal error during boot, leading to a kernel panic.
> Unfortunately, the error message scrolled off the screen very quickly,
> obscured by a useless kernel backtrace.
>
>       Mark

Mark is correct: swap was never enabled in the first place.  I tested
this by booting an old configuration and entering `cat /proc/swaps`,
which returned an empty table.

Case closed, I guess!

Albin

* bug#22548: Kernel panic after system reconfiguration
@ 2016-02-04 12:55       ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-02-04 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: Albin, 22548

Mark H Weaver (2016-02-04 01:14 +0300) wrote:

> Albin <albin@fripost.org> writes:
>
>> Hi again,
>>
>> I got rid of the kernel panic by removing the following from the config
>> and reconfiguring (as suggested by Mark Weaver):
>>
>>> (swap-devices '("/swapfile"))
>>
>> It would be nice to be able to enable swap again though. On my system it
>> needs to be done with a swap file.
>
> I suspect this never worked, but that before the error was silently
> ignored.  In my case, I had:
>
>   (swap-devices '("/dev/disk/by-label/jojen-swap"))
>
> and /dev/disk went away at some point due to another problem.  For a
> long time, I simply had no swap.  With the dmd -> shepherd transition,
> it started causing a fatal error during boot, leading to a kernel panic.
> Unfortunately, the error message scrolled off the screen very quickly,
> obscured by a useless kernel backtrace.

I faced the same kernel panic as I also had "/dev/disk/..." swap device.

Obviously it didn't work for some time when dmd was the init system
(because on GuixSD there is no "/dev/disk/" since… I don't know when as
I've never noticed it before).

And as reported by several people on #guix (I count at least 4 including
me and Mark) a wrong swap device leads to a kernel panic if shepherd is
used as the init system.

Until I realized that it was a wrong swap, I made bisecting on shepherd
to find out which commit introduced this bug.  It gave me commit
852341e¹: when I reconfigured my system (with a wrong swap) using
shepherd on this commit, I had a kernel panic, while with shepherd on
the previous commit the system booted successfully.

¹ http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/shepherd.git/commit/?id=852341ed0c08941cbdd022135f8bef7be2d7ec54

--
Alex

* bug#22548: Kernel panic after system reconfiguration
@ 2016-02-04 22:50         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-02-04 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: Albin, 22548

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> skribis:

> And as reported by several people on #guix (I count at least 4 including
> me and Mark) a wrong swap device leads to a kernel panic if shepherd is
> used as the init system.
>
> Until I realized that it was a wrong swap, I made bisecting on shepherd
> to find out which commit introduced this bug.  It gave me commit
> 852341e¹: when I reconfigured my system (with a wrong swap) using
> shepherd on this commit, I had a kernel panic, while with shepherd on
> the previous commit the system booted successfully.
>
> ¹ http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/shepherd.git/commit/?id=852341ed0c08941cbdd022135f8bef7be2d7ec54

Ooooh, it took me a while but I see how this happens.  This is because
we start services directly from the config file, and anything that goes
wrong there is uncaught, which leads to this:

Service udev has been started.
srfi-34(#<condition &action-runtime-error [service: #<<service> 184b150> action: start key: system-error arguments: ("swapon" "~S: ~A" ("/dev/disk/foobar" "No such file or directory") (2))] 1ea24c0>)
[    6.856167] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x00000100
[    6.856167]
[    6.856869] CPU: 0 PID: 1 Comm: shepherd Not tainted 4.4.1-gnu #1
[    6.857319] Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996), BIOS rel-1.8.2-0-g33fbe13 by qemu-project.org 04/01/2014

Ludo’.

* bug#22548: Kernel panic after system reconfiguration
@ 2016-02-05 13:05           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-02-05 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: Albin, 22545-done, 22548-done

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> And as reported by several people on #guix (I count at least 4 including
>> me and Mark) a wrong swap device leads to a kernel panic if shepherd is
>> used as the init system.
>>
>> Until I realized that it was a wrong swap, I made bisecting on shepherd
>> to find out which commit introduced this bug.  It gave me commit
>> 852341e¹: when I reconfigured my system (with a wrong swap) using
>> shepherd on this commit, I had a kernel panic, while with shepherd on
>> the previous commit the system booted successfully.
>>
>> ¹ http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/shepherd.git/commit/?id=852341ed0c08941cbdd022135f8bef7be2d7ec54
>
> Ooooh, it took me a while but I see how this happens.  This is because
> we start services directly from the config file, and anything that goes
> wrong there is uncaught, which leads to this:
>
> Service udev has been started.
> srfi-34(#<condition &action-runtime-error [service: #<<service> 184b150> action: start key: system-error arguments: ("swapon" "~S: ~A" ("/dev/disk/foobar" "No such file or directory") (2))] 1ea24c0>)
> [    6.856167] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x00000100
> [    6.856167]
> [    6.856869] CPU: 0 PID: 1 Comm: shepherd Not tainted 4.4.1-gnu #1
> [    6.857319] Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996), BIOS rel-1.8.2-0-g33fbe13 by qemu-project.org 04/01/2014

Commit 081bd3b fixes it.  Commit 234ea8a defensively wraps all the
configuration file in ‘call-with-error-handling’, which spawns a REPL
upon error.

Thanks for the detailed investigation!

Ludo’.