all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Arch Linux locale-gen tries to use /run/current-system
@ 2016-05-11 23:52 Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2016-05-11 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

I am trying guix on Arch Linux.  While updating the system package to
glibc 2.23 I get this error:

$ locale-gen
Generating locales...
  en_GB.UTF-8...cannot create temporary file:
  /run/current-system/locale/2.22/locale-archive.nfq78F: No such file or
  directory

More info:

$ locale
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

$ locale -a
POSIX

I don't understand why it is using /run/current-system/ because I am
using guix and not guixSD.  (I did try nix, just in case it matters for
this problem, but I think I have removed all references to it).

Does anyone know what I need to do to get locale-gen to run without an
error?

Thanks,
Myles

* Re: Arch Linux locale-gen tries to use /run/current-system
@ 2016-05-12 17:53 ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-05-12 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Myles English; +Cc: help-guix

Myles English (2016-05-12 02:52 +0300) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying guix on Arch Linux.  While updating the system package to
> glibc 2.23 I get this error:
>
> $ locale-gen
> Generating locales...
>   en_GB.UTF-8...cannot create temporary file:
>   /run/current-system/locale/2.22/locale-archive.nfq78F: No such file or
>   directory

"locale-gen" script runs "localedef" command (which is from "glibc"
package).  So I think that the Guix's localedef is started.  My guess is
you installed "glibc" into your guix user profile, and
"~/.guix-profile/bin" takes preference over other directories in your
$PATH.  Could you check "which localedef"?

If it's true, why did you install glibc in your profile?  I think it is
not needed.

OTOH if my guess is correct, this environment problem should happen only
for your user, but the root user shouldn't have localedef in its PATH.
So you probably keep your user environment during system update (maybe
with "sudo -E pacman -S ..." or something similar), right?  How did you
start pacman?

--
Alex

* Re: Arch Linux locale-gen tries to use /run/current-system
@ 2016-05-14 18:20   ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2016-05-14 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-guix

Thank you for the reply, unfortunately that computer has come to the end
of its natural life so I can't investigate any further.  I will be sure
to try nix on my new build.

Alex Kost writes:

> Myles English (2016-05-12 02:52 +0300) wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying guix on Arch Linux.  While updating the system package to
>> glibc 2.23 I get this error:
>>
>> $ locale-gen
>> Generating locales...
>>   en_GB.UTF-8...cannot create temporary file:
>>   /run/current-system/locale/2.22/locale-archive.nfq78F: No such file or
>>   directory
>
> "locale-gen" script runs "localedef" command (which is from "glibc"
> package).  So I think that the Guix's localedef is started.  My guess is
> you installed "glibc" into your guix user profile, and
> "~/.guix-profile/bin" takes preference over other directories in your
> $PATH.  Could you check "which localedef"?
>
> If it's true, why did you install glibc in your profile?  I think it is
> not needed.

Not sure, I did have some installation difficulties at "2.6 Application
Setup"[fn:1] where "guix package -i glibc-locales" did not work first
time, I forget the details though.

> OTOH if my guess is correct, this environment problem should happen only
> for your user, but the root user shouldn't have localedef in its PATH.
> So you probably keep your user environment during system update (maybe
> with "sudo -E pacman -S ..." or something similar), right?  How did you
> start pacman?

I think you are right and I had environment variables set in my .zshrc
that I shouldn't have.

Myles

Footnotes:

[fn:1] https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Application-Setup.html