all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* exploring the code
@ 2016-07-18 22:27 Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2016-07-18 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I opened the file guix/scripts/build.scm in Emacs

For Geiser to be able to jump to the definition of a symbol at point or to
open a documentation buffer, I need the Guile REPL to "load" the file

C-x C-b does the trick, but I see this error in the REPL, then

http://paste.lisp.org/display/320775

After that, many symbols become available anyway: I can jump to their
definition and I can have doc buffers popping up

All but one: "options->derivations" on line 670

I'm doing this because I'd like to redo in the REPL what the command "guix
build blah" does. At least some parts of it

In order to make it less abstract in my mind, to get aquainted with the
build subsystem. I need to see some procedures called and returning
something, I need to see macros expanded.

I hope you understand

If anyone can suggest a better way to get aquainted with the build
subsystem I'm all ears.

I'd like Geiser to work on all the symbols, though.

* Re: exploring the code
@ 2016-07-19 12:31 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-07-19 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> skribis:

> I opened the file guix/scripts/build.scm in Emacs
>
> For Geiser to be able to jump to the definition of a symbol at point
> or to open a documentation buffer, I need the Guile REPL to "load" the
> file
>
> C-x C-b does the trick, but I see this error in the REPL, then
>
> http://paste.lisp.org/display/320775

I use C-c C-k (geiser-compile-current-buffer), which works well for me.
Not sure what the problem is here.

> After that, many symbols become available anyway: I can jump to their
> definition and I can have doc buffers popping up
>
> All but one: "options->derivations" on line 670

Works for me after C-c C-k.  :-)

Could you try this and report back?  It’s a good idea to pre-build Guix
before, using ‘make’, so that Geiser doesn’t end up recompiling
everything.

> I'm doing this because I'd like to redo in the REPL what the command
> "guix build blah" does. At least some parts of it
>
> In order to make it less abstract in my mind, to get aquainted with
> the build subsystem. I need to see some procedures called and
> returning something, I need to see macros expanded.
>
> I hope you understand
>
> If anyone can suggest a better way to get aquainted with the build
> subsystem I'm all ears.

I think you’re right, it’s a very good idea to explore Guix this way.
This is more or less the approach I took in
<https://audio-video.gnu.org/video/misc/2016-01__GNU_Guix__Your_Distro_is_a_Scheme_Library.webm>,
so you might find it useful (you might also have suggestions on how to
improve this talk, which would be more than welcome!).

HTH,
Ludo’.

* Re: exploring the code
@ 2016-07-19 14:55   ` Mathieu Lirzin
From: Mathieu Lirzin @ 2016-07-19 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> I opened the file guix/scripts/build.scm in Emacs
>>
>> For Geiser to be able to jump to the definition of a symbol at point
>> or to open a documentation buffer, I need the Guile REPL to "load" the
>> file
>>
>> C-x C-b does the trick, but I see this error in the REPL, then
>>
>> http://paste.lisp.org/display/320775
>
> I use C-c C-k (geiser-compile-current-buffer), which works well for me.
> Not sure what the problem is here.

'C-c C-k' (geiser-compile-current-buffer) works most of the time,
however this is not a silver bullet.  For example:

;;; foo.scm
(define (where-is-foo)
  (display "foo!\n"))

(where-is-foo)

'M-.' when the point is on 'where-is-foo' procedure call won't find the
procedure definition even after 'C-c C-k'.  It only works in the context
of a module.

My point is that Geiser should not be expected to be 100% reliable.
'M-x rgrep' is sometimes a helpful complement.  ;)

Mathieu Lirzin

* Re: exploring the code
@ 2016-07-19 16:36   ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-07-19 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

Ludovic Courtès (2016-07-19 15:31 +0300) wrote:

> Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> I opened the file guix/scripts/build.scm in Emacs
>>
>> For Geiser to be able to jump to the definition of a symbol at point
>> or to open a documentation buffer, I need the Guile REPL to "load" the
>> file
>>
>> C-x C-b does the trick, but I see this error in the REPL, then
>>
>> http://paste.lisp.org/display/320775
>
> I use C-c C-k (geiser-compile-current-buffer), which works well for me.

I never liked this command.  I found it too slow, and I didn't
understand why it does so much, I always prefered
",use(<current-module>)".  That's why I added "C-c . u" key to
guix-devel-mode.  It does exactly that: uses the current module.

--
Alex

* Re: exploring the code
@ 2016-07-19 19:27     ` Amirouche Boubekki
From: Amirouche Boubekki @ 2016-07-19 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Lirzin; +Cc: help-guix, Help-Guix

On 2016-07-19 16:55, Mathieu Lirzin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> skribis:
>>

> My point is that Geiser should not be expected to be 100% reliable.
> 'M-x rgrep' is sometimes a helpful complement.  ;)

I used to 'M-x rgrep' now I've bound 'C-x r' to silver searcher grep
(command is ag).

* Re: exploring the code
@ 2016-07-19 20:15     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-07-19 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-guix

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès (2016-07-19 15:31 +0300) wrote:
>
>> Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> skribis:
>>
>>> I opened the file guix/scripts/build.scm in Emacs
>>>
>>> For Geiser to be able to jump to the definition of a symbol at point
>>> or to open a documentation buffer, I need the Guile REPL to "load" the
>>> file
>>>
>>> C-x C-b does the trick, but I see this error in the REPL, then
>>>
>>> http://paste.lisp.org/display/320775
>>
>> I use C-c C-k (geiser-compile-current-buffer), which works well for me.
>
> I never liked this command.  I found it too slow, and I didn't
> understand why it does so much, I always prefered
> ",use(<current-module>)".  That's why I added "C-c . u" key to
> guix-devel-mode.  It does exactly that: uses the current module.

Good point, I should train my muscle memory to use this one.

Maybe Geiser should provide it in the first place?  (Basically a variant
of C-c C-a that doesn’t jump to the REPL.)

Ludo’.

* Re: exploring the code
@ 2016-07-21  3:34       ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2016-07-21  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)