ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes: > Hi! > > Chris Marusich skribis: > >> Do you know why the intensional model hasn't been deployed in the 11 >> years since the thesis was published? To learn more, I can think of a >> few places to look (Nix email lists, other Nix-related research papers), >> but if you have specific recommendations, it would be helpful! > > The intensional model (content-address item) works well if and only if > packages are 100% bit-reproducible, which they are not (yet!). > > Also I’m not sure how substitutes could work with this model since one > cannot refer to the build result until it’s available. FYI, section 6.4.4 (p. 157) of Eelco's thesis describes how substitution works in the intensional model. When performing substitution for a store path p, if a trusted substitute for p has been registered, then it is tried, and the substitution is considered successful if and only if the output's content-addressed store path equals p. If I learn more about why Nix doesn't use the intensional model, I'll let you know. -- Chris