all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Remove lash
@ 2022-11-22 15:04 Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2022-11-22 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Hi Guix,

on a modern Guix System with Gnome we’re pulling in Python 2.  That’s
because gtk uses lash, and lash (last commit was 14 years ago) comes
with Python bindings — for Python 2.

I’d like to propose one of the following steps:

- remove lash completely
- build lash without Python bindings, removing python2
- remove lash from fluidsynth, thereby removing it from the gtk closure

What do you think?

--
Ricardo

* Re: Remove lash
@ 2022-11-23 22:18 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-11-23 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi,

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> on a modern Guix System with Gnome we’re pulling in Python 2.  That’s
> because gtk uses lash, and lash (last commit was 14 years ago) comes
> with Python bindings — for Python 2.
>
> I’d like to propose one of the following steps:

s/steps/options/ ?

> - remove lash completely
> - build lash without Python bindings, removing python2
> - remove lash from fluidsynth, thereby removing it from the gtk closure
>
> What do you think?

I’m not familiar with Lash, but based on your description, I’d be in
favor of removing it entirely, and definitely for removing it from GTK.

Ludo’.

* Re: Remove lash
@ 2022-11-29  4:17   ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-11-29  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Ricardo Wurmus, Guix Devel

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:
>
>> on a modern Guix System with Gnome we’re pulling in Python 2.  That’s
>> because gtk uses lash, and lash (last commit was 14 years ago) comes
>> with Python bindings — for Python 2.
>>
>> I’d like to propose one of the following steps:
>
> s/steps/options/ ?
>
>> - remove lash completely
>> - build lash without Python bindings, removing python2
>> - remove lash from fluidsynth, thereby removing it from the gtk closure
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I’m not familiar with Lash, but based on your description, I’d be in
> favor of removing it entirely, and definitely for removing it from GTK.

+1.  Thanks for taking care of that, it had bothered me as well.

Maxim