sapientech@openmailbox.org writes: > My name is Dylan, and I am a Swarthmore College student interested in > working with Guix this summer! Attached is my proposal to help develop > an installation wizard for GuixSD. Please let me know if there are any > questions or comments. This is a great idea! You might be interested to know that from Thomas Ingram has made a similar proposal. My feedback to you would be similar to the feedback I gave to him, which is here: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-03/msg00903.html > - Consider both a text-based and graphical application using > guile-ncurses/libRUIN While it's good to plan for both text and graphical UI, maybe it will be more efficient to pick one to focus on, and treat the other as a stretch goal? > - Design for portability for use in other software distributions that > lack a proper installer wizard Again, this is a nice idea, but it might be more efficient to focus on getting it to work with Guix first. > - An emphasis on rigorous test suites, with stability prioritized over features GuixSD is still beta software. Is it a good idea to make one of your goals be "the installer is stable" when the system it's installing is not stable? > - Research installer wizards in other distributions, and work with the > Guix community to determine a minimal yet effective installation flow I would be happy to share with you the hacky little shell scripts I use to do this today. They're simple automations of the manual procedure, really, but perhaps they could be useful. I am not familiar with the implementation details of installer wizards used by other distros, but I've seen and used my fair share of them. In any case, I would love to have a functioning installer for GuixSD! You're absolutely right that it would make the system more approachable to newcomers, too. Thank you for taking the time to work on this! -- Chris