Ricardo Wurmus writes: > Hi Alex, > >> This patch adds clojure 1.6 to 1.8. > > Wow. Thanks! > Thanks for the review too! > Usually, we just keep the latest version unless there are packages that > dependend on an older version. In the case of the IcedTea packages, for > example, we need version 6 to be able to bootstrap the others. > > In my opinion we should just add Clojure version 1.8 for now. In any > case (if other people decide that we should have more than one version) > please only add one package per patch. It’s a little tedious to split > stuff up, I know, but it makes handling repository history and partial > reverts much easier. > I see. So the general policy here is to be lazy and packaged by need :) This time only version 1.8 is added. Does this apply to splitting bundled libraries as well? I see clojure has some java libraries bundled such as ASM. Currently, I suppose no other packages depend on it. > I see that you added a very large patch to make this work. In Guix we > usually avoid patching upstream software unless it’s absolutely > necessary. Have you thought about submitting your patch upstream to > enable compilation with GCJ? I think we should not add extensive > patches like that unless they are considered by the upstream developers. > > It’s also not so pretty that you have to call “gcj” and “g++” in a > somewhat complicated build phase “build-native”. If you can get > upstream to accept your patches to build with GCJ maybe you can slip in > a patch to add a new Makefile target as well? This would greatly > simplify the build phases. > I see clojure is written only in java and clojure. I will ask for upstream advice on this one. > Mmyeah… this is really not pretty. Also: wrapping the whole package > expression in this “get-version” let-binding is not nice. > > Have you thought of instead writing a procedure that produces a Clojure > package given a particular version? Similar to the “custom-gcc” > procedure maybe? > Now only version 1.8 is added, the problem has gone temporarily. But it is interesting to know how the gcc package solves this problem. > Again, thanks a lot for the effort! I really hope we can add Clojure to > Guix soon. > > ~~ Ricardo Thanks, Alex