all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Specifying Java version when using ant-build-system
@ 2016-08-15 14:17 Danny Milosavljevic
From: Danny Milosavljevic @ 2016-08-15 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

how can I specify that I need a Java 1.8 compiler and source level when using ant-build-system?

Also, guix/build-system/ant.scm says:

(define* (ant-build store name inputs
                    #:key
                    (tests? #t)
                    (test-target "tests")
                    (configure-flags ''())
                    (make-flags ''())
                    (build-target "jar")
                    (jar-name #f)
                    (phases '(@ (guix build ant-build-system)
                                %standard-phases))
                    (outputs '("out"))
                    (search-paths '())
                    (system (%current-system))
                    (guile #f)p
                              ^^^ what does this mean?
                    (imported-modules %ant-build-system-modules)
                    (modules '((guix build ant-build-system)
                               (guix build utils))))

* Re: Specifying Java version when using ant-build-system
@ 2016-08-15 14:27 ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2016-08-15 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Milosavljevic; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Danny Milosavljevic
<dannym@scratchpost.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how can I specify that I need a Java 1.8 compiler and source level when using ant-build-system?
>
> Also, guix/build-system/ant.scm says:
>
> (define* (ant-build store name inputs
>                     #:key
>                     (tests? #t)
>                     (test-target "tests")
>                     (configure-flags ''())
>                     (make-flags ''())
>                     (build-target "jar")
>                     (jar-name #f)
>                     (phases '(@ (guix build ant-build-system)
>                                 %standard-phases))
>                     (outputs '("out"))
>                     (search-paths '())
>                     (system (%current-system))
>                     (guile #f)p
>                               ^^^ what does this mean?
>                     (imported-modules %ant-build-system-modules)
>                     (modules '((guix build ant-build-system)
>                                (guix build utils))))

Seems to me that it's missing an argument for that.  We'll need to add
a "java" or "jdk" or whatever argument.

- Dave

* Re: Specifying Java version when using ant-build-system
@ 2016-08-15 14:42 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2016-08-15 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Milosavljevic; +Cc: guix-devel

Danny Milosavljevic <dannym@scratchpost.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> how can I specify that I need a Java 1.8 compiler and source level when using ant-build-system?

The build system adds these inputs by default:

         (build-inputs `(("jdk" ,jdk "jdk")
                         ("ant" ,ant)
                         ("zip" ,zip)
                         ,@native-inputs))

You should be able to override each of these by specifying them as a
keyword argument, e.g.

    (arguments
     `(#:jdk ,some-other-jdk
       #:zip ,some-other-zip))

> Also, guix/build-system/ant.scm says:
>
> (define* (ant-build store name inputs
>                     #:key
>                     (tests? #t)
>                     (test-target "tests")
>                     (configure-flags ''())
>                     (make-flags ''())
>                     (build-target "jar")
>                     (jar-name #f)
>                     (phases '(@ (guix build ant-build-system)
>                                 %standard-phases))
>                     (outputs '("out"))
>                     (search-paths '())
>                     (system (%current-system))
>                     (guile #f)p
>                               ^^^ what does this mean?

Ouch!  This shouldn’t have been committed.  This is what happened pretty
often with my terrible keyboard at work — my control key (among many
other keys) wasn’t very reliable and would sometimes stop working while
I moved around in the sources in Emacs (where Ctrl+p moves up one
line).

I’m surprised this doesn’t lead to an error.

~~ Ricardo

* Re: Specifying Java version when using ant-build-system
@ 2016-08-16  0:38   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-08-16  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 04:42:01PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> > (define* (ant-build store name inputs

[...]

> >                     (guile #f)p
> >                               ^^^ what does this mean?
>
> Ouch!  This shouldn’t have been committed.  This is what happened pretty
> often with my terrible keyboard at work — my control key (among many
> other keys) wasn’t very reliable and would sometimes stop working while
> I moved around in the sources in Emacs (where Ctrl+p moves up one
> line).

Can we correct the typo on the master branch? It seems that only a few
packages are using the ant-build-system for now, although I didn't check
if those packages have a lot of referrers.

* Re: Specifying Java version when using ant-build-system
@ 2016-08-16  7:58     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2016-08-16  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 04:42:01PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>> > (define* (ant-build store name inputs
>
> [...]
>
>> >                     (guile #f)p
>> >                               ^^^ what does this mean?
>>
>> Ouch!  This shouldn’t have been committed.  This is what happened pretty
>> often with my terrible keyboard at work — my control key (among many
>> other keys) wasn’t very reliable and would sometimes stop working while
>> I moved around in the sources in Emacs (where Ctrl+p moves up one
>> line).
>
> Can we correct the typo on the master branch? It seems that only a few
> packages are using the ant-build-system for now, although I didn't check
> if those packages have a lot of referrers.

Yes, it wouldn’t cause too many rebuilds.  Would you like to do it?

~~ Ricardo

* Re: Specifying Java version when using ant-build-system
@ 2016-08-16 18:10       ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-08-16 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 09:58:33AM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:

> > [...]
> >>
> >> Ouch!  This shouldn’t have been committed.  This is what happened pretty
> >> often with my terrible keyboard at work — my control key (among many
> >> other keys) wasn’t very reliable and would sometimes stop working while
> >> I moved around in the sources in Emacs (where Ctrl+p moves up one
> >> line).
> >
> > Can we correct the typo on the master branch? It seems that only a few
> > packages are using the ant-build-system for now, although I didn't check
> > if those packages have a lot of referrers.
>
> Yes, it wouldn’t cause too many rebuilds.  Would you like to do it?

Done as 59c3e98474.

* Re: Specifying Java version when using ant-build-system
@ 2016-08-30  9:17       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-08-30  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

>> [...]
>>>
>>> Ouch!  This shouldn’t have been committed.  This is what happened pretty
>>> often with my terrible keyboard at work — my control key (among many
>>> other keys) wasn’t very reliable and would sometimes stop working while
>>> I moved around in the sources in Emacs (where Ctrl+p moves up one
>>> line).
>>
>> Can we correct the typo on the master branch? It seems that only a few
>> packages are using the ant-build-system for now, although I didn't check
>> if those packages have a lot of referrers.
>
> Yes, it wouldn’t cause too many rebuilds.

It wouldn’t cause *any* rebuilds because it’s host-side code.

It’s funny that the typo was in a place where it had no noticeable
effect (it just added an unused #:p parameter.)

Ludo’.