Danny Milosavljevic writes: > Hi Nikolai, > > I think the incremental (first) version is the best one since you can see > which bugs are worked around by us and which are fixed per release at a glance. > > But really it doesn't matter much which. > >> Second solution looks too verbose for me, but with first solution on >> long chain of versions it will be very hard to manage which changes we >> have in newest package. > > I hope we won't have a long chain of cumulative Rust versions in Guix. I know > that Rust upstream likes to do this chain of Rust1 -> Rust2 -> Rust3 -> Rust4 > but that's not really scalable - especially since even one Rust takes a day > to compile. We should try to get mrust [1] to work and use it to compile just > the newest Rust. If it doesn't work we can still fall back to one of the > other ways later. > > (What Mozilla recommends is we compile Rust1, use Rust2 to compile Rust3, use > Rust3 to compile Rust4, likewise for each new release) I think we should heed upstreams advice in that case. A long bootstrap chain is really only a problem during 'core-updates', no? IIUC mrustc only targets x86_64 currently, so I don't expect it to become viable for Guix in a good while. > [1] https://github.com/thepowersgang/mrustc