Pierre Neidhardt writes: >>> A more general question: How do I find to which non-installed package a >>> filename belongs? >> >> Guix does not currently know anything about the files inside each >> package, I typically do a web search... > > This is too bad, I believe it's an important feature for any package > manager. > As far as I can tell, `portage` and `pacman` can both do it. > > Any plan regarding guix? I don't know of any plan at the moment. Nothing is stopping a motivated individual from creating a mapping of packages to programs, of course, and then making it available to anyone who is interested. Here's one idea: what if somebody defined a package which used every other package as input, scanned their output paths and created such a mapping, and then wrote that mapping (or built a tool to easily query that mapping) as its own output? You could call it the "xiug" package! ;-) Until a solution is created, I find that the following heuristic usually works (where $program is the name of the program I'm interested in): * Try: guix package --search=$program * Search the Internet for $program, and find out what package provides the $program on existing distributions. Then try "guix package --search=$package" where $package is the package name used in the other distro. The name is often the same or similar. * Brute force search your local store for the build output: find -L /gnu/store -iname "*${program}*" * Ask on IRC or email! -- Chris