Ricardo Wurmus writes: > Hi Chris, > >> Ricardo Wurmus writes: >> >>> That’s because the package version itself is insufficient. In Guix >>> we’re dealing with package “variants”. >> >> Where is the concept of a package "variant" defined? I briefly grepped >> in the source but only found some ad-hoc stuff for Python and OCaml, >> which actually do some kind of stuff with the package-properties. > > What I meant is that the version string alone is insufficient. You can > have multiple variants of a package with the same nominal version, but > the differences are in the closure of the package. When Guix is > upgraded in between two invocations of “guix package -u” seeing the same > “version” of a package to be upgraded to is a common occurrence. > >> How can the inputs have changed if Pierre is just running "guix package >> -u" repeatedly? > > That bit of information was not available to me when I composed my > initial response. If Guix is not changed in between then this behaviour > seems to be a bug. I think this is a bug. I've reported it here: https://bugs.gnu.org/31142 -- Chris