On Sun, May 06, 2018 at 06:01:59 +0000, Nils Gillmann wrote: > Mike Gerwitz transcribed 2.2K bytes: >> On Sat, May 05, 2018 at 19:06:27 -0300, Adonay Felipe Nogueira wrote: >> > I have noticed somepeople advocating for packaging Firefox in GNU Guix, >> > and since FF still has freedom issues, I see it as a no-go. >> >> A simple option for now is to package FF by disabling those features and >> _not_ providing an alternative. For example, IceCat loads a different >> addon page than FF; we could just load no addon page at all, or a static >> one saying that it's something'll we'll get to eventually. > > For the majority of people it will be "weird" to load add-ons not via > the Mozlla Store, but if explained before usage it can work out. Users are free to still use addons.mozilla.org, of course. I do, because I know to check the license of the addon before installing, and the website does not require JS for the functions that I need. I suspect that most Guix users are more technical than average users and would be much less bothered by a kluge for the time being. But to prevent bug reports, something should certainly indicate that it's not failing to load because of a bug. > I thin with regards to Addons of Mozilla based software, we just have > to reimplement what Nix does for the Addons. I'm not familiar with what Nix does; is it similar to what Guix does with e.g. Emacs packages? I would like that. >> I have no suggestions for dealing with the trademark issue, though. > > The branding "aurora" (building without branding) is trademark free. > What remains are mentions of "Firefo" in some places. Oh, excellent. -- Mike Gerwitz Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer GPG: D6E9 B930 028A 6C38 F43B 2388 FEF6 3574 5E6F 6D05 https://mikegerwitz.com