Hi again, Marius Bakke skribis: > After reconfiguring on the 'core-updates' branch, systems using the > OpenSSH service will occasionally (not always!) hang forever during > boot, waiting for entropy. Moving the mouse or mashing the keyboard > allows the boot to proceed. > > I don't think this is limited to OpenSSH, but anything that calls > getrandom() during startup. > > There is some information about this problem and various workarounds > here, including links to recent LKML discussions: > > https://daniel-lange.com/archives/152-hello-buster.html I read some of these, and our ‘urandom-seed-service-type’ has the same bug as . Namely, we write the previous seed to /dev/urandom but we don’t credit the entropy. The attached patch fixes that, and I think it should fix the problem you reported. Could people give it a try? I’m interested in seeing the value of /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail with and without this patch right after boot (don’t try it in ‘guix system vm’ because there’s no seed there.) I wasn’t sure how much to add to the entropy count, but I think it’s safe to account for all the bits of the seed since we know that it comes from /dev/urandom. Thoughts? Ludo’.