Hi, Ekaitz Zarraga writes: [...] >>> We have automake packaged, but it's not compatible with older autoconf >>> versions so autoconf is not very usable at this point. >>> >>> ``` >>> Ekaitz@tuxedo ~/projects/nlnet/gcc/libstdc++-v3 (riscv)$ guix shell >>> automake autoconf@2.64 >> >> is there a reason you need to "pin" to the 2.64 version? > > I had one, I was working on GCC bootstrapping... oh OK :-) > It's not a big deal if we just remove the older versions. but if they are needed for bootstrapping they should be kept around, no? > The problem I wanted to make us notice is we were keeping the 2.64 > version and we didn't really provide any compatible automake, so the > autoconf@2.64 was almost useless. I'm not very familiar with Autoconf and Automake (nor with bootstrapping): is there a "compatibility table" around? I quickly had a look to the respective manuals but I was not able to find one. > If no package uses those, it's ok to remove. I can always time-machine > around the problem. OK old packages can always (almost) be time-machined back but if they are needed for bootstrapping (for sexample if your work on GCC bootstrapping is succesful) they should be in Guix proper, no? is this a bug? :-) Thanks for your work! Gio' -- Giovanni Biscuolo Xelera IT Infrastructures