all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Clément Lassieur" <clement@lassieur.org>
To: John Darrington <john@darrington.wattle.id.au>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org, John Darrington <jmd@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Unrar package might contain proprietary code.
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2017 21:39:03 +0100	[thread overview]

> Yes,  the package does not explicitly have headers in the way that GNU recommends.
> But I do not see how such a recommendation is "mandatory". (It's mandatory for
> gnu programs, but there are many non-gnu programs in Guix)

This is what I was referring to:

    Whichever license you plan to use, the process involves adding two
    elements to each source file of your program: a copyright notice (such
    as “Copyright 1999 Terry Jones”), and a statement of copying permission,
    saying that the program is distributed under the terms of the GNU
    General Public License (or the Lesser GPL).

To me it is pretty clear.  And it is not only about GNU programs.

> Like you say, the authors have taken GPL code from another project and incorporated
> it into unrar - that is only possible if the the resultant work is GPL compatible.

Or if the resultant work is illegal?

> Also if you look at the site where it is hosted https://gna.org/projects/unrar you
> will see that it says: License: GNU General Public License V2 or later.

But the site could be mistaken too.