all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* xscreensaver on GuixSD
@ 2017-06-28 16:42 Thomas Danckaert
From: Thomas Danckaert @ 2017-06-28 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

using GuixSD, I've added xscreensaver to my system configuration, by
adding the following to the list of services:

     (screen-locker-service xscreensaver)

this is enough to use xscreensaver (set up pam & make xscreensaver
setuid), except for the fact that I have to start the  xscreensaver
daemon manually after booting.

I'd like the xscreensaver daemon to start automatically.  Has anyone
set this up on their system?  Do I need to define a custom service
for this?  Suggestions welcome!

Thomas

* Re: xscreensaver on GuixSD
@ 2017-06-29 14:45 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-06-29 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Danckaert; +Cc: help-guix

Hello Thomas,

Thomas Danckaert <post@thomasdanckaert.be> skribis:

> I'd like the xscreensaver daemon to start automatically.  Has anyone
> set this up on their system?  Do I need to define a custom service for
> this?  Suggestions welcome!

I would start it from ~/.xsession, but perhaps there are fancier ways to
do that.

HTH,
Ludo’.

* Re: xscreensaver on GuixSD
@ 2017-06-29 15:05   ` Daniel Pimentel
From: Daniel Pimentel @ 2017-06-29 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo; +Cc: Thomas Danckaert, help-guix

I use xlock with matrix mode. I puted in my ~.stumpwm:

(define-key *root-map* (kbd "Pause") "exec xlock -mode matrix")

---
Daniel Pimentel (d4n1)

On 2017-06-29 11:45, ludo@gnu.org wrote:
> Hello Thomas,
>
> Thomas Danckaert <post@thomasdanckaert.be> skribis:
>
>> I'd like the xscreensaver daemon to start automatically.  Has anyone
>> set this up on their system?  Do I need to define a custom service for
>> this?  Suggestions welcome!
>
> I would start it from ~/.xsession, but perhaps there are fancier ways
> do that.
>
> HTH,
> Ludo’.

* Re: xscreensaver on GuixSD
@ 2017-06-30  8:39   ` Thomas Danckaert
From: Thomas Danckaert @ 2017-06-30  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo; +Cc: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 767 bytes --]

From: ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès)
Subject: Re: xscreensaver on GuixSD
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 16:45:14 +0200

> Thomas Danckaert <post@thomasdanckaert.be> skribis:
>
>> I'd like the xscreensaver daemon to start automatically.  Has
>> anyone
>> set this up on their system?  Do I need to define a custom service
>> for
>> this?  Suggestions welcome!
>
> I would start it from ~/.xsession, but perhaps there are fancier
> ways to
> do that.

Strangely, after creating a ~/.xsession file, I wasn't able to log in
to my gnome session anymore (though I didn't investigate this further
and just deleted ~/.xsession again).  What did work was to create a
.desktop file in ~/.config/autostart.  I've attached it here for
future reference ;-)

[-- Attachment #2: xscreensaver.desktop --]
[-- Type: Text/Plain, Size: 78 bytes --]

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Screensaver
Type=Application
Exec=xscreensaver -nosplash

* Re: xscreensaver on GuixSD
@ 2017-06-30 12:47     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-06-30 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Danckaert; +Cc: help-guix

Thomas Danckaert <post@thomasdanckaert.be> skribis:

> From: ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès)
> Subject: Re: xscreensaver on GuixSD
> Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 16:45:14 +0200
>
>> Thomas Danckaert <post@thomasdanckaert.be> skribis:
>>
>>> I'd like the xscreensaver daemon to start automatically.  Has
>>> anyone
>>> set this up on their system?  Do I need to define a custom service
>>> for
>>> this?  Suggestions welcome!
>>
>> I would start it from ~/.xsession, but perhaps there are fancier
>> ways to
>> do that.
>
> Strangely, after creating a ~/.xsession file, I wasn't able to log in
> to my gnome session anymore (though I didn't investigate this further
> and just deleted ~/.xsession again).

Maybe you forgot “chmod +x ~/.xsession”?

> What did work was to create a .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart.
> I've attached it here for future reference ;-)
>
> [Desktop Entry]
> Name=Screensaver
> Type=Application
> Exec=xscreensaver -nosplash

Interesting, I wonder what piece of software reads this file.  Maybe
xfce-session and gnome-session?

Thanks for the tip,
Ludo’.

* Re: xscreensaver on GuixSD
@ 2017-07-01 15:39       ` Thomas Danckaert
From: Thomas Danckaert @ 2017-07-01 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo; +Cc: help-guix

From: ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 14:47:47 +0200

>> Strangely, after creating a ~/.xsession file, I wasn't able to log
>> in
>> to my gnome session anymore (though I didn't investigate this
>> further
>> and just deleted ~/.xsession again).
>
> Maybe you forgot “chmod +x ~/.xsession”?

Obviously I did, case closed ;-)

>> What did work was to create a .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart.
>> I've attached it here for future reference ;-)
>>
>> [Desktop Entry]
>> Name=Screensaver
>> Type=Application
>> Exec=xscreensaver -nosplash
>
> Interesting, I wonder what piece of software reads this file.  Maybe
> xfce-session and gnome-session?

I don't know, but apparently it's a freedesktop standard.

https://standards.freedesktop.org/autostart-spec/autostart-spec-latest.html

Another method: if you create a .desktop file in one of the standard
locations (don't know by heart where those are, some subdirectory of
/etc, and there's a directory somewhere in $HOME, too, I think), the
application will be available as a choice in the 'Startup
Applications' menu of gnome-tweak-tool.

Thomas

* Re: xscreensaver on GuixSD
@ 2017-07-06  3:40 ` Chris Marusich