ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes: > Hello, > > Chris Marusich skribis: > >> Ricardo Wurmus writes: >> >>> Hi Guix, >>> >>> on the website it starts right away with a list of features: >>> “Liberating”, “Dependable”, and “Hackable”. But what is this thing >>> called Guix? >>> >>> We should add a very short paragraph above that list to say what Guix >>> and GuixSD are. >>> >>> What do you think? >> >> How is Guix different from other package managers? Why is it better? > > That’s what Liberating (free software), Dependable (transactional, > etc.), Hackable (it’s a Scheme API) tries to convey. > > The hope was that by reading these 3 items people could tell how it > differs from APT/dpkg, Conda, or Nix. To be honest, I really like the current list of 3 items. I think it's a good "marketing" front page, even if perhaps it doesn't provide a complete answer of what Guix is. What do you think about making these minor changes to the website (see attached). >> Perhaps the best way to do that would be to write a problem statement. >> Instead of explaining what Guix is, explain what problems Guix solves. >> The first chapter of Eelco Dolstra's Ph. D. thesis [1] did a fantastic >> job of explaining what problems Nix solves, and by the end of that >> chapter, I was really excited to learn more about Nix (and Guix) and try >> it out. In particular, the list of problems with the state of the art >> in section 1.3 "Motivation" and the list of solutions that Nix offers in >> section 1.5 "Contributions" were particularly concise and convincing. >> Maybe we can aim for something similar on our Guix website? > > The “Introduction” and “Features” sections of the manual aim to achieve > that goal, but in a “constructive” way (stating what properties it has, > rather than what properties other solutions lack.) However, I think > it’s not that concise and it’s quite technical, so I’d keep that in the > manual rather than on the front page. > > Thoughts? I agree. Our manual is great overall. If I can think of ways to improve it even more, I'll submit more patches for review. -- Chris