all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* bug#46563: file-system declarations do not currently support cifs mounts
@ 2021-02-16 16:21 Katherine Cox-Buday
  2021-02-22  9:17 ` Ludovic Courtès
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Katherine Cox-Buday @ 2021-02-16 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 46563

With a file-system declartion of:

#+BEGIN_SRC scheme
(file-system
 (mount-point "/home/user/foo")
 (device "//server/foo")
 (type "cifs")
 (options "username=user,vers=2.0,uid=1000,gid=988")
 (check? #f)
 (create-mount-point? #t)
 (mount-may-fail? #t))
#+END_SRC

I get the following error:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
$ sudo guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
/etc/config.scm:97:9: error: device '//server/foo not found: No such file or directory
#+END_EXAMPLE

With =cifs-utils= installed, I would expect this to work.




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* bug#46563: file-system declarations do not currently support cifs mounts
  2021-02-16 16:21 bug#46563: file-system declarations do not currently support cifs mounts Katherine Cox-Buday
@ 2021-02-22  9:17 ` Ludovic Courtès
  2021-02-22 15:41   ` Katherine Cox-Buday
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-02-22  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katherine Cox-Buday; +Cc: 46563

Hi,

Katherine Cox-Buday <cox.katherine.e@gmail.com> skribis:

> With a file-system declartion of:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC scheme
> (file-system
>  (mount-point "/home/user/foo")
>  (device "//server/foo")
>  (type "cifs")
>  (options "username=user,vers=2.0,uid=1000,gid=988")
>  (check? #f)
>  (create-mount-point? #t)
>  (mount-may-fail? #t))
> #+END_SRC
>
>
> I get the following error:
>
> #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
> $ sudo guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
> /etc/config.scm:97:9: error: device '//server/foo not found: No such file or directory
> #+END_EXAMPLE
>
> With =cifs-utils= installed, I would expect this to work.

Unfortunately that’s not enough.

Like NFS, CIFS requires special support, which is currently missing from
(gnu build file-systems).

Thanks,
Ludo’.




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* bug#46563: file-system declarations do not currently support cifs mounts
  2021-02-22  9:17 ` Ludovic Courtès
@ 2021-02-22 15:41   ` Katherine Cox-Buday
  2021-02-22 16:38     ` Ludovic Courtès
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Katherine Cox-Buday @ 2021-02-22 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: 46563

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Unfortunately that’s not enough.
>
> Like NFS, CIFS requires special support, which is currently missing from
> (gnu build file-systems).

I apologize if I'm missing something, but this is the bug I'm attempting
to report.

-- 
Katherine




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* bug#46563: file-system declarations do not currently support cifs mounts
  2021-02-22 15:41   ` Katherine Cox-Buday
@ 2021-02-22 16:38     ` Ludovic Courtès
  2021-02-22 17:15       ` Katherine Cox-Buday
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-02-22 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katherine Cox-Buday; +Cc: 46563

Katherine Cox-Buday <cox.katherine.e@gmail.com> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Unfortunately that’s not enough.
>>
>> Like NFS, CIFS requires special support, which is currently missing from
>> (gnu build file-systems).
>
> I apologize if I'm missing something, but this is the bug I'm attempting
> to report.

Sure, sorry for the miscommunication!  The point I wanted to make is
that it’s not a “bug” per se but rather a missing feature.

It doesn’t help but I thought it would clarify the situation.  :-)

Ludo’.




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* bug#46563: file-system declarations do not currently support cifs mounts
  2021-02-22 16:38     ` Ludovic Courtès
@ 2021-02-22 17:15       ` Katherine Cox-Buday
  2021-02-23  8:17         ` Ludovic Courtès
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 6+ messages in thread
From: Katherine Cox-Buday @ 2021-02-22 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: 46563

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Katherine Cox-Buday <cox.katherine.e@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> Unfortunately that’s not enough.
>>>
>>> Like NFS, CIFS requires special support, which is currently missing from
>>> (gnu build file-systems).
>>
>> I apologize if I'm missing something, but this is the bug I'm attempting
>> to report.
>
> Sure, sorry for the miscommunication!  The point I wanted to make is
> that it’s not a “bug” per se but rather a missing feature.
>
> It doesn’t help but I thought it would clarify the situation.  :-)
>
> Ludo’.

Ah! I was wondering if there was a different way to request features! Is
debbugs not the way to do that?

-- 
Katherine




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

* bug#46563: file-system declarations do not currently support cifs mounts
  2021-02-22 17:15       ` Katherine Cox-Buday
@ 2021-02-23  8:17         ` Ludovic Courtès
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 6+ messages in thread
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-02-23  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katherine Cox-Buday; +Cc: 46563

Katherine Cox-Buday <cox.katherine.e@gmail.com> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Katherine Cox-Buday <cox.katherine.e@gmail.com> skribis:
>>
>>> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>>>
>>>> Unfortunately that’s not enough.
>>>>
>>>> Like NFS, CIFS requires special support, which is currently missing from
>>>> (gnu build file-systems).
>>>
>>> I apologize if I'm missing something, but this is the bug I'm attempting
>>> to report.
>>
>> Sure, sorry for the miscommunication!  The point I wanted to make is
>> that it’s not a “bug” per se but rather a missing feature.
>>
>> It doesn’t help but I thought it would clarify the situation.  :-)
>>
>> Ludo’.
>
> Ah! I was wondering if there was a different way to request features! Is
> debbugs not the way to do that?

Yes, it is; there’s a “wishlist” tag we can add.

Ludo’.




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 6+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-02-23  8:18 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 6+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-02-16 16:21 bug#46563: file-system declarations do not currently support cifs mounts Katherine Cox-Buday
2021-02-22  9:17 ` Ludovic Courtès
2021-02-22 15:41   ` Katherine Cox-Buday
2021-02-22 16:38     ` Ludovic Courtès
2021-02-22 17:15       ` Katherine Cox-Buday
2021-02-23  8:17         ` Ludovic Courtès

all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org

This inbox may be cloned and mirrored by anyone:

	git clone --mirror https://yhetil.org/guix

Example config snippet for mirrors.


AGPL code for this site: git clone http://ou63pmih66umazou.onion/public-inbox.git