all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* copyright licence
@ 2024-05-23 14:51 gfp
From: gfp @ 2024-05-23 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Felix Lechner, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz), Luis Felipe

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 3323 bytes --]

Hi,

thanks Felix, Florian, Lois
for help

1.
what copyright licence would be appropriate
that only the GUIX community can use my song,
but nobody else?

2.
This would mean in Videos,
in meetings where Guix is present,
to support Guix in any way,
to add the piano notes,
to change some words or phrases,
to improve the song for the GUIX community
etc.

3.
I wouldn't like that somebody else in the world
misuse the song.
There are so many criminals out there...

4.
I would also like to be informed
if somebody makes any changes, so that I can e.g. adjust the song.
In which way is this included in the copyright licence?/
what do I have to do that this will happen?

5.
The creative commons suggest point 2:

   Do you want attribution for your work?
Yes. Anyone using my work must include proper attribution.
No. Anyone can use my work, even without giving me attribution.

I guess,it is safer to say: Yes,
that this song can't be misused so easily out in the world if I add only
GP as my name?
Am I right?

6.
The creative commons suggest point 3:
   Do you want to allow others to use your work commercially?
Yes. Others can use my work, even for commercial purposes.
No. Others can not use my work for commercial purposes.

What answer is beneficial for the Guix community?
Would it be enough to answer: No,
but it safes my song from misuse in the world?

or is it necessary to say: Yes,
because then the Guix community can use
this song without thinking of copyright licence?

7.
The creative commons suggest point 4:
   Do you want to allow others to remix, adapt, or build upon your work?
Yes. Others can remix, adapt, or build upon my work.
No. Others may only use my work in unadapted form.

Yes would be the answer that the Guix community can change the song...

8.
The creative commons suggest point 5:
   Do you want to allow others to share adaptations of your work
under any terms?
Yes. Others can share adaptations of my work under any terms.
No. Others must use the same CC license if they adapt my work.

This seems to be tricky.
What licence would be appropriate for using this song in the Guix
community only?
I guess: No, but I am not sure.
I guess that the song is somehow saved from misuse in the world
if I say: No
The Guix community AFAIK would not have any interest to change the terms?

9.
The creative commons suggest point 6:
   Confirm that CC licensing is appropriate
I own or have authority to license the work.
I have read and understand the terms of the license.
I understand that CC licensing is not revocable.

10.
The creative commons suggest point 7:

Attribution Details

Filling out this form is optional, but helps others attribute your work
to you, and fills in machine-readable code.
Title of Work
Creator of Work
Link to Work
Link to Creator Profile
Year Of Creation

Link to Work:

Is it good to give the
help-guix@gnu.org archive website

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2024-05/msg00063.html

or the

https://www.mytuxedo.de/index.php/s/fa88o8iHCYfDFdR
link

as the attribution details,
because I have no website?

11.
I guess I would have to copy the licence
as rich text
as footnote under the song

thanks for help
Gottfried

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: copyright licence
@ 2024-05-23 16:37 ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2024-05-23 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gfp; +Cc: help-guix, Felix Lechner, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz), Luis Felipe

gfp <gfp@posteo.at> writes:

> 1.
> what copyright licence would be appropriate
> that only the GUIX community can use my song,
> but nobody else?

This kind of exclusion of the world is inherently incompatible with the
values at the heart of Free Culture and of Guix.

I know that this is unusual compared to much of the world being about
conflict between different groups, and I know that it can take some time
to get used to. It took me some time to do it back when I built fantasy
worlds. But it is worth it.

It is what makes Free Software special — building creations for all of
humanity instead of only to those who are part of an in-group.

If you however want to prevent people from using the song to corrupt the
core values of Guix, a sharealike license is the way to go: only allow
those to use the song who support similar values of Free Culture.

It doesn’t matter how their community calls itself as long as they
adhere to the Freedoms the Sharelike license protects.

Best wishes,
Arne

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: copyright licence
@ 2024-05-23 17:14 ` pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2024-05-23 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gfp; +Cc: help-guix, Felix Lechner, Luis Felipe

Hello Gottfried.  What you describe is a very restrictive license,
unlike Creative Commons.

Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide’s non-restrictive, free culture stance is not
required in GNU, but non-free art is too much hassle for most of us.

You are okay with playback and modification of your song (which you make
possible by publishing the source), but for Guix only and you want to be
informed.  If you clearly state this, it is a license.  But:

For programs, the GNU philosophy is that granting the right to use,
study, modify for *any* purpose is the best choice, except GNU licenses
often disallow restricting the program.  Songs are different from
programs, though I believe Guix people would demand the rights before
including your song in the guix-artwork repository.

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git

Also note that criminals (and even A.I. companies praised in media)
often disregard licenses.

> 5.
> The creative commons suggest point 2:
>
>   Do you want attribution for your work?
> Yes. Anyone using my work must include proper attribution.
> No. Anyone can use my work, even without giving me attribution.
>
> I guess,it is safer to say: Yes,
> that this song can't be misused so easily out in the world if I add
> only GP as my name?
> Am I right?

No, I don’t see any connection between misuse and whether you use your
full name.

> 10.
> The creative commons suggest point 7:
>
> Attribution Details
>
> Filling out this form is optional, but helps others attribute your
> work to you, and fills in machine-readable code.
> Title of Work
> Creator of Work
> Link to Work
> Link to Creator Profile
> Year Of Creation
>
> Link to Work:
>
> Is it good to give the
> help-guix@gnu.org archive website
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2024-05/msg00063.html
>
> or the
>
> https://www.mytuxedo.de/index.php/s/fa88o8iHCYfDFdR
> link
>
> as the attribution details,
> because I have no website?

Normally attribution is to your name and/or e-mail address.

> 11.
> I guess I would have to copy the licence
> as rich text
> as footnote under the song

The license can be very short, but restrictive licenses are often long
to be explicit about all that is and is not allowed, when they allow
more than the short restrictive “All rights reserved” default.  For
well-known licenses, the name of the license like CC-BY-SA and the
version of the license is enough to tell.

Regards,
Florian