all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [bug#70915] Request for merging "tex-team" branch
@ 2024-05-13  9:00 Nicolas Goaziou via Guix-patches via
From: Nicolas Goaziou via Guix-patches via @ 2024-05-13  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 70915

Hello,

The "tex-team" branch contains import fixes and improvements for Guix
modular TeX Live distribution. In particular, it solves the important
slowdown experienced when compiling documents, and vastly improves
modularity wrt to binaries.

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou

* [bug#70915] Closing this bug for now?
@ 2024-06-21 12:47 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2024-06-21 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 70915; +Cc: Christopher Baines

Hello Nicolas,

there are a lot of commits still being added to the top of this branch.
As I understand it, this causes it to be repeatedly evaluated and built
by QA, resulting in a waste of build power.

Should we close this bug for now until the branch has reached its final
shape for the next merge? Or maybe keep it in its current shape until it
is merged and only then add new commits?

Andreas

* [bug#70915] Closing this bug for now?
@ 2024-06-21 20:07   ` Nicolas Goaziou via Guix-patches via
From: Nicolas Goaziou via Guix-patches via @ 2024-06-21 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: 70915, Christopher Baines

Hello,

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:

> there are a lot of commits still being added to the top of this branch.
> As I understand it, this causes it to be repeatedly evaluated and built
> by QA, resulting in a waste of build power.

I'm sorry that my work wastes (!) build power.

About a month ago, the branch was already ready to be merged, but it
never[¹] got the chance to be allocated the few CPU cycles necessary to
start building something. I doubt it did waste anything because I hardly
got any feedback from QA since the request for merging was issued.

As the situation wasn't moving, I resumed my work on the branch. There
are some more commits to come, indeed, but I expect the last steps to be
done in the following days.

> Should we close this bug for now until the branch has reached its final
> shape for the next merge? Or maybe keep it in its current shape until it
> is merged and only then add new commits?

If your suggestion means the branch will have to wait more months before
being merged, I dislike it. The branch will be ready in a few days. What
is done with this branch does not belong to me.

Regards,

[¹] Actually, it happened once, but for some reason, builds stopped.

--

@ 2024-06-21 20:20     ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2024-06-21 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: 70915, Christopher Baines

Am Fri, Jun 21, 2024 at 10:07:11PM +0200 schrieb Nicolas Goaziou:
> About a month ago, the branch was already ready to be merged, but it
> never[¹] got the chance to be allocated the few CPU cycles necessary to
> start building something. I doubt it did waste anything because I hardly
> got any feedback from QA since the request for merging was issued.

Well, it probably was never fully built, but it did start. I have seen
packages of the tex-team branch being compiled in the past few days.
The revisions corresponding to several commits were evaluated also.

> > Should we close this bug for now until the branch has reached its final
> > shape for the next merge? Or maybe keep it in its current shape until it
> > is merged and only then add new commits?
> If your suggestion means the branch will have to wait more months before
> being merged, I dislike it. The branch will be ready in a few days. What
> is done with this branch does not belong to me.

I suppose we can manually change the priorities of the branch merge
requests, but do not know how to do so myself.

If we do not close this bug, maybe it would be good to not push more
commits to the branch on the server until your work is finished; I am
quite certain that QA works on evaluating intermediate commits.

Andreas

* [bug#70915] Closing this bug for now?
@ 2024-06-21 21:31       ` Nicolas Goaziou via Guix-patches via
From: Nicolas Goaziou via Guix-patches via @ 2024-06-21 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: 70915, Christopher Baines

Hello,

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:

> Well, it probably was never fully built, but it did start. I have seen
> packages of the tex-team branch being compiled in the past few days.

I doubt it, for some value of "the past few days". "core-updates" did
build some TeX Live packages. Meanwhile, "tex-team" branch was sitting
on top of a commit QA never managed to handle.

Regards,
--

@ 2024-06-24 22:35       ` Nicolas Goaziou via Guix-patches via
From: Nicolas Goaziou via Guix-patches via @ 2024-06-24 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: 70915, Christopher Baines

Hello,

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:

> If we do not close this bug, maybe it would be good to not push more
> commits to the branch on the server until your work is finished; I am
> quite certain that QA works onn evaluating intermediate commits.

For the record, the "tex-team" branch is now feature-complete.
I refreshed the branch one last time.

I now wait for bordeaux to start building those packages so I can fix
issues that may (will?) arise. Since this will happen after
"core-updates" merge, it may be necessary to rebase "tex-team" on top of
master at that time, or the expected feedback may be biased.

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou