This patch modifies 'svg->png' in (gnu system grub) to use rsvg-convert instead of inkscape. Inkscape is a rather heavy dependency to convert an image. This is important for users who choose to avoid binary substitutes. The main difficulty here was that our SVG artwork is partially transparent, and includes a "Background" layer with a checker-board pattern. I guess this layer is for convenience when editing in Inkscape, and apparently Inkscape excludes the "Background" layer when exporting to png. Other tools render all layers. Therefore, avoiding Inkscape required code to remove that layer before conversion to png. Comments and suggestions welcome, Mark