Konrad Hinsen writes: > Hi Guixers, > > Today guix greeted me with a strange error message when I tried to > install a package: > > guix package: error: build failed: the group `guixbuild' specified in > `build-users-group' does not exist > > I call this strange because > 1) The group exists, as do the users guixbuilder01 to guixbuilder10. > 2) Guix has been working for quite a while on this machine, and > nothing spectacular happened since the last use. > 3) I cannot find any trace of this error message in the Guix source code. > 4) The guix daemon is running without any sign of trouble. > > Any idea of what could be going wrong here? This has to do with the recent update to glibc 2.26. It no longer builds the "nss_compat" library, which causes problems on distributions that only has 'compat' in /etc/nsswitch.conf. There is some discussion about it here: . The workaround is to either install 'nscd', or update nsswitch.conf to include 'files' (or similar) as a fallback (for "group" in this case).