all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#43710: missing debug symbols for dino dependencies
@ 2020-09-29 18:46 bdju via Bug reports for GNU Guix
From: bdju via Bug reports for GNU Guix @ 2020-09-29 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 43710

It seems just the debug symbols for dino weren't quite enough to get
good info. I also need debug symbols for the other dependencies. For
sure glib or libglib, whichever it is. If there are other dependencies
that could have debug output enabled, that would probably be helpful as
well.

* bug#43710: missing debug symbols for dino dependencies
@ 2020-10-02 20:50 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-10-02 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bdju; +Cc: 43710

Hi bdju,

"bdju" <bdju@tilde.team> skribis:

> It seems just the debug symbols for dino weren't quite enough to get
> good info. I also need debug symbols for the other dependencies. For
> sure glib or libglib, whichever it is. If there are other dependencies
> that could have debug output enabled, that would probably be helpful as
> well.

Indeed, not all packages come with debugging symbols, as explained at:

  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Installing-Debugging-Files.html

However, I think this bug report is not actionable from the maintainer
perspective: we’re not going to enable debugging symbols on dino’s
dependencies (118 packages according to ‘guix graph -t references dino’)
just because one person needs to debug it.

That said, I agree it would be nice to have debugging symbols on key
packages such as GLib and/or to provide a simple way to obtain them (I’m
thinking of a package transformation option.)  That will take some more
time.

I’m closing this bug but feel free to open more specific issues.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* bug#43710: missing debug symbols for dino dependencies
@ 2021-04-06 21:14   ` bdju via Bug reports for GNU Guix
From: bdju via Bug reports for GNU Guix @ 2021-04-06 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: 43710-done

On Fri Oct 2, 2020 at 3:50 PM CDT, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi bdju,
>
> "bdju" <bdju@tilde.team> skribis:
>
> > It seems just the debug symbols for dino weren't quite enough to get
> > good info. I also need debug symbols for the other dependencies. For
> > sure glib or libglib, whichever it is. If there are other dependencies
> > that could have debug output enabled, that would probably be helpful as
> > well.
>
> Indeed, not all packages come with debugging symbols, as explained at:
>
> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Installing-Debugging-Files.html
>
> However, I think this bug report is not actionable from the maintainer
> perspective: we’re not going to enable debugging symbols on dino’s
> dependencies (118 packages according to ‘guix graph -t references
> dino’)
> just because one person needs to debug it.
>
> That said, I agree it would be nice to have debugging symbols on key
> packages such as GLib and/or to provide a simple way to obtain them
> (I’m
> thinking of a package transformation option.) That will take some more
> time.
>
> I’m closing this bug but feel free to open more specific issues.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.
Sounds fair. (looks like this wasn't closed, I'll try to close it now)