On 2021-11-25, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > Vagrant Cascadian skribis: > >> With: >> >> commit bdf5c16ac052af2ca9d5c3acc4acbc08fd9fdbea >> Author: Ludovic Courtès >> Date: Tue Nov 23 09:06:49 2021 +0100 >> >> maint: "make dist" builds tarballs in 'ustar' format. >> >> It seems like this actually needs even further updates, as that should >> allow for a much longer file length in general (although a little >> difficult to figure out the exact file length allowed). >> >> And then the corresponding test suite will need changes as well... > > I think independently of the switch to ustar, it’s a good idea for ‘guix > lint’ to warn about long patch file names, but to warn a bit less > frequently than today. > > In that spirit, your patch is still relevant and worth applying IMO. Sure, although while I'm mucking around... I went ahead and did some real-world testing of file lengths usable by ustar. Using ustar adds a significant buffer, though less than one might think in the case of guix-VERSION/gnu/packages/patches/*.patch (~151 characters vs. ~99). I'm guessing this is plenty buffer though, most existing patches were only a theoretical problem... almost to the point that maybe even removing the check entirely might be fine. Updated patch integrating this and the stronger warning suggested by Philip McGrath. I haven't yet actually *tested* this updated patch yet, but the previous iteration tested just fine. :) live well, vagrant