On 24-08-2022 22:24, zimoun wrote: > My understanding of the Debian argument is: > > 1. the licence is BSD-like respecting the Debian Free Software Guidelines > > 2. point #3 of DFSG [2] says «The license must allow modifications and > derived works, and must allow them to be distributed under the same > terms as the license of the original software.» > > 3. considering game data, all people are equals – from original author > to users – because the tool set for modifying these game data does not > exist anymore > > Therefore, drascula is part of the ’main’ Debian archive, scummvm too. I remember (3). I find this an interesting argument. As far as I know, the 4 freedoms and the whole 'free software!' thing was not a goal in itself, but rather a means to  a goal, a response to 'many times some people and organisations have imposed impractical restrictions on software, causing problems (example: this situation in 19NN, that situation in 20??, ...) -- can we identify the problems and generalize until we have a set of rules (4 freedoms) that need to be respected to avoid the problems?'. As far as I know, drascula situation is not comparable (see: 'all people are equals') to the old problems. Yet, I cannot say it's free software (without the tools, it's effectively a binary instead of source code until, if ever, the tools are reinvented) (see some of my other responses in this thread). As such, do the 4 freedoms need some refinement to accept drascula, do we have to weaken our requirement of 'only free software' for special situations like this one, or do we remove drascula, or is there somehow a fourth option I'm not thinking of? Myself, I do not know the answer. However, I cannot help with the first option, the second sounds iffy to me (the exception would need to be worded really well, or it would be a 'case-by-case' matter which could take a long time to decide case-by-case, and in both cases it doesn't seem to fit in 'GNU: free software!'). As such, for me, only the third (removing drascula) is practical for me, but there are other people here too which could perhaps, say, do the first or something ... Greetings, Maxime.