David Craven writes: >> I understand that this is some sort of mechanism to enable cargo to build things >> offline, but is it appropriate to put all of those other packages' >> source into the "cargo" package that is going to be built by Guix? I >> haven't been following the Cargo/Rust in Guix discussion thread, so it's >> entirely possible I just missed something that was already discussed. > > No it is not appropriate. There has been a lot of discussion if it is ok to take > shortcuts or not, I think the general opinion is that it is not ok. > But it is a way to > build cargo without a lot of work, since there are a couple of issues that need > to be addressed by the cargo-build-system, specifically the importer. I see. Since I haven't been involved in the discussion so far, I think I'll defer to others for further comment on that topic. >> OK. That makes sense. But I wonder why cmake and pkg-config are >> missing from the list of references if that is the case? > > Wow, I don't know what I was thinking, I was convinced that cmake and pkg-config > where retained inputs :) They should be propagated-inputs > then... Thanks! Although making them propagated-inputs might work, another solution might be to use 'wrap-program' to wrap cargo's executable(s). For example, this is what we did when we packaged Asunder: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-12/msg00707.html Wrapping the program might not be appropriate in every case (see email thread discussion), but if it's appropriate in this case, it's a great way to avoid propagated-inputs. -- Chris