Konrad Hinsen writes: > I agree. What's messy is how the concepts map to commands. How many Guix > users understand that profiles are persistent environments, or > environments ephemeral profiles? And how many understand what "guix > environment -r" does exactly, and how it should be used? It took me a > while to figure this out. Yup! Before I got down to write the article, I must confess I had been using Guix wrong for more than a year :p > What we have is two commands (package and environment) each designed for > one main usage pattern, plus options to get something else. But even > those options don't overlap completely in functionality. For example, > how do I make a profile with the dependencies of a package? > > The current discussion started with adding more commands for different > specific usage patterns. If we go that route the mess will become worse. Agreed. > Me too :-) It's "guix package" that is the worst offender in my > opinion. It does two distinct things: querying the package database and > managing profiles. And now that we have "guix search" for queries, I'd > like to see "guix package" go away, to be replaced by either "guix > profile" for profile management, with as much overlap as possible in > options with "guix environment", or by a single command that handles > environments and profiles in a unified way. I like this idea a lot! > They do, but not very well in my opinion. I think everything meant to be > shared, published, and maintained should be accessible by name in a > database. A channel, for example. > > Some ideas that could make this possible (and convenient): > > - Better support for adding/managing channels at the user account > level. Users shouldn't have to edit Guile code (unless they want to). This is a great idea. By the way, the same should be possible from the installer: - Specify which channels you want to use. - Specify which config.scm you want to use. Indeed, the config.scm might rely on channels. This way, the Guix installation process would boil down to the above 2 items, that is to say... 1 minute of the user time! Great, no? Cheers! -- Pierre Neidhardt https://ambrevar.xyz/