all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* SJTUG's Guix mirror is online now
@ 2020-12-22  3:36 Peng Mei Yu
From: Peng Mei Yu @ 2020-12-22  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

After extensive cooperation with SJTUG's maintainers, we are happy to
announce that SJTUG's Guix mirror is online now.

The substitute URL is: https://mirrors.sjtug.sjtu.edu.cn/guix

Asia residents, especially China residents, will greatly benefit from
this mirror.  Average download speed is about 3MB/s within China, which
is a 100 times increase compared to ci.guix.gnu.org.

SJTUG's Guix mirror is maintained by students of Shanghai Jiao Tong
University Linux User Group (SJTUG).  We will continue to cooperate with
them in the near future to ensure this mirror server is fast and stable.

Find the announcement and usage instructions here:
https://guix.org.cn/blog/sjtug-guix-mirror-is-online-now/
https://sjtug.org/post/mirror-news/2020-12-21-release-guix/
https://mirrors.sjtug.sjtu.edu.cn/docs/guix

--
Peng Mei Yu

* Re: SJTUG's Guix mirror is online now
@ 2020-12-22  9:46 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-12-22  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peng Mei Yu, guix-devel

That's great news, thanks to all the people involved!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: SJTUG's Guix mirror is online now
@ 2020-12-22 15:21 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-12-22 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peng Mei Yu; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Peng Mei Yu <pengmeiyu@riseup.net> skribis:

> After extensive cooperation with SJTUG's maintainers, we are happy to
> announce that SJTUG's Guix mirror is online now.
>
> The substitute URL is: https://mirrors.sjtug.sjtu.edu.cn/guix

This is great news!

> Asia residents, especially China residents, will greatly benefit from
> this mirror.  Average download speed is about 3MB/s within China, which
> is a 100 times increase compared to ci.guix.gnu.org.
>
> SJTUG's Guix mirror is maintained by students of Shanghai Jiao Tong
> University Linux User Group (SJTUG).  We will continue to cooperate with
> them in the near future to ensure this mirror server is fast and stable.

So you are rsync’ing from ci, right?  Is the mirror running ‘guix
publish’ to cope with the “weird” file layout in
/var/cache/guix/publish?

If you’re interested, you could write an article for the blog post (in
English, but it’d be a good opportunity to start translating the web
site into Chinese :-)) about your setup and the choices you made.

Thank you & everyone involved!

Ludo’.

* Re: SJTUG's Guix mirror is online now
@ 2020-12-23  1:50   ` Peng Mei Yu
From: Peng Mei Yu @ 2020-12-23  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Peng Mei Yu <pengmeiyu@riseup.net> skribis:
>
>> After extensive cooperation with SJTUG's maintainers, we are happy to
>> announce that SJTUG's Guix mirror is online now.
>>
>> The substitute URL is: https://mirrors.sjtug.sjtu.edu.cn/guix
>
> This is great news!
>
>> Asia residents, especially China residents, will greatly benefit from
>> this mirror.  Average download speed is about 3MB/s within China, which
>> is a 100 times increase compared to ci.guix.gnu.org.
>>
>> SJTUG's Guix mirror is maintained by students of Shanghai Jiao Tong
>> University Linux User Group (SJTUG).  We will continue to cooperate with
>> them in the near future to ensure this mirror server is fast and stable.
>
> So you are rsync’ing from ci, right?  Is the mirror running ‘guix
> publish’ to cope with the “weird” file layout in
> /var/cache/guix/publish?

No.  To deal with software repositories that are not easy to have a full
sync, maintainers of SJTUG wrote a cache program.  When an HTTP request
comes, the program tries to find the requested resource from an S3-like
storage server.  If the resource is found on the storage server, return
an HTTP 302 redirection to storage server.  Otherwise, return an HTTP
302 redirection to upstream server and fetch the resource from upstream
and store it into the storage server.  As I said earlier, this does not
work well for Guix because Guix client does not handle HTTP 302
redirection correctly.  So we tweaked the program a little bit to offer
transparent proxy to Guix client.  The program is here:
https://github.com/sjtug/mirror-intel

By the way, I am still waiting for the rsync account of our CI server.
If rsync is offered, we may pull guix-publish' cache and write another
program to feed the mirror with a full sync.

> If you’re interested, you could write an article for the blog post (in
> English, but it’d be a good opportunity to start translating the web
> site into Chinese :-)) about your setup and the choices you made.

I don't think there are enough things to write in a blog post but I will
consider translating the web site.

--

@ 2020-12-23  8:39     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-12-23  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peng Mei Yu, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 at 09:50, Peng Mei Yu <pengmeiyu@riseup.net> wrote:

>>> The substitute URL is: https://mirrors.sjtug.sjtu.edu.cn/guix

Nice news!

>> If you’re interested, you could write an article for the blog post (in
>> English, but it’d be a good opportunity to start translating the web
>> site into Chinese :-)) about your setup and the choices you made.
>
> I don't think there are enough things to write in a blog post but I will
> consider translating the web site.

Does it make sense to add the URL in the Chinese manual?

All the best,
simon

* Re: SJTUG's Guix mirror is online now
@ 2020-12-23 11:14 ` 宋文武
From: 宋文武 @ 2020-12-23 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peng Mei Yu; +Cc: guix-devel

Peng Mei Yu <pengmeiyu@riseup.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> After extensive cooperation with SJTUG's maintainers, we are happy to
> announce that SJTUG's Guix mirror is online now.
>
> The substitute URL is: https://mirrors.sjtug.sjtu.edu.cn/guix
>
> Asia residents, especially China residents, will greatly benefit from
> this mirror.  Average download speed is about 3MB/s within China, which
> is a 100 times increase compared to ci.guix.gnu.org.

Truely a life saver, thank you!

* Re: SJTUG's Guix mirror is online now
@ 2020-12-23 12:23       ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2020-12-23 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, zimoun, Peng Mei Yu, Ludovic Courtès

Le 23 décembre 2020 03:39:54 GMT-05:00, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> a écrit :
>Hi,

>Nice news!
>

>>> If you’re interested, you could write an article for the blog post
>(in
>>> English, but it’d be a good opportunity to start translating the web
>>> site into Chinese :-)) about your setup and the choices you made.
>>
>> I don't think there are enough things to write in a blog post but I
>will
>> consider translating the web site.
>
>Does it make sense to add the URL in the Chinese manual?

Many people prefer the original version despite the availability of a good translation. You might also live in China and not be a fluent speaker. I think it makes sense to add it to the English manual too :).

I think it's a bad idea to have different information in different languages.