all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs tramp in remote guix
       [not found] <87h795s97x.fsf.ref@yahoo.com.br>
@ 2022-02-11 15:40 ` Antonio Carlos Padoan Junior
From: Antonio Carlos Padoan Junior @ 2022-02-11 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to use emacs tramp to connect to a guix machine but tramp
complains it can't find an appropriate 'ls' command.

I tried to help tramp setting the following:
  (add-to-list 'tramp-remote-path "/run/current-system/profile/bin")

But I'm still not lucky. I always get the same error.  Is there any
elegant way to correctly use tramp with a remote guix machine?

For information, my "client" is also a guix machine.

Best regards,
--
Antonio Carlos PADOAN JUNIOR
Phone: +33(0)6 5035 1196

* Re: emacs tramp in remote guix
@ 2022-02-12  2:42   ` Mikhail Kryshen
From: Mikhail Kryshen @ 2022-02-12  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonio Carlos Padoan Junior, guix-devel

Hello,

Antonio Carlos Padoan Junior <acpadoanjr@yahoo.com.br> writes:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm trying to use emacs tramp to connect to a guix machine but tramp
> complains it can't find an appropriate 'ls' command.
>
> I tried to help tramp setting the following:
>   (add-to-list 'tramp-remote-path "/run/current-system/profile/bin")

For me this works.

> But I'm still not lucky. I always get the same error.  Is there any
> elegant way to correctly use tramp with a remote guix machine?

You may need to delete ~/.emacs.d/tramp before starting Emacs for the
setting to take effect.

--
Mikhail

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: emacs tramp in remote guix
@ 2022-02-12 11:30     ` Josselin Poiret
From: Josselin Poiret @ 2022-02-12 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikhail Kryshen, Antonio Carlos Padoan Junior, guix-devel

Hello everyone,

Mikhail Kryshen <mikhail@kryshen.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Antonio Carlos Padoan Junior <acpadoanjr@yahoo.com.br> writes:
>
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I'm trying to use emacs tramp to connect to a guix machine but tramp
>> complains it can't find an appropriate 'ls' command.
>>
>> I tried to help tramp setting the following:
>>   (add-to-list 'tramp-remote-path "/run/current-system/profile/bin")
>
> For me this works.
>
>> But I'm still not lucky. I always get the same error.  Is there any
>> elegant way to correctly use tramp with a remote guix machine?
>
> You may need to delete ~/.emacs.d/tramp before starting Emacs for the
> setting to take effect.

I personally use
  (require 'tramp)
  (connection-local-set-profile-variables
   'guix-system
   '((tramp-remote-path . (tramp-own-remote-path))))
  (connection-local-set-profiles
   '(:application tramp :protocol "sudo" :machine "hostname")
   'guix-system)
for tramp on my own machine.  The symbol 'tramp-own-remote-path uses the
login shell of the target to determine the environment to use, so is
well suited for guix.  You may need to adjust the :protocol and :machine
keys of the connection-local-set-profiles call for your use case though.

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret

* Re: emacs tramp in remote guix
@ 2022-02-12 18:04       ` Antonio Carlos Padoan Junior
From: Antonio Carlos Padoan Junior @ 2022-02-12 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josselin Poiret; +Cc: Mikhail Kryshen, guix-devel

Josselin Poiret <dev@jpoiret.xyz> writes:

> I personally use
>
>   (require 'tramp)
>   (connection-local-set-profile-variables
>    'guix-system
>    '((tramp-remote-path . (tramp-own-remote-path))))
>   (connection-local-set-profiles
>    '(:application tramp :protocol "sudo" :machine "hostname")
>    'guix-system)
>
> for tramp on my own machine.  The symbol 'tramp-own-remote-path uses the
> login shell of the target to determine the environment to use, so is
> well suited for guix.  You may need to adjust the :protocol and :machine
> keys of the connection-local-set-profiles call for your use case though.
>
> Best,

Thanks Josselin and Mikhail!

Cleaning the tramp file did the job! It works now!

I will check closely Josselin proposition as well, it seems I have
something new to learn there.

IMHO, giving the importance emacs has in guix distribution this is
something that merits a place on guix cookbook perhaps.

Best regards
--

@ 2022-02-12 18:14         ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-02-12 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonio Carlos Padoan Junior, Josselin Poiret; +Cc: guix-devel

Antonio Carlos Padoan Junior schreef op za 12-02-2022 om 19:04 [+0100]:
> Josselin Poiret <dev@jpoiret.xyz> writes:
>

> > I personally use
> >
> >   (require 'tramp)
> >   (connection-local-set-profile-variables
> >    'guix-system
> >    '((tramp-remote-path . (tramp-own-remote-path))))
> >   (connection-local-set-profiles
> >    '(:application tramp :protocol "sudo" :machine "hostname")
> >    'guix-system)
> >
> > for tramp on my own machine.  The symbol 'tramp-own-remote-path uses the
> > login shell of the target to determine the environment to use, so is
> > well suited for guix.  You may need to adjust the :protocol and :machine
> > keys of the connection-local-set-profiles call for your use case though.
> >
> > Best,
>
> Thanks Josselin and Mikhail!
>
> Cleaning the tramp file did the job! It works now!
>
> I will check closely Josselin proposition as well, it seems I have
> something new to learn there.
>
> IMHO, giving the importance emacs has in guix distribution this is
> something that merits a place on guix cookbook perhaps.

I think that ideally, the tramp package in Guix would be patched to
recognise ~/.guix-profile/etc/profile and /etc/profile (when present,
on the remote machine) and use that to determine the PATH for the
remote machine (or some other system, whatever works) .

Thne tramp would work out-of-the-box, without having to consult a
cookbook or manual and without having to know that this information is
located there.

Greetings,
Maxime.

* Re: emacs tramp in remote guix
@ 2022-02-13  9:52           ` Josselin Poiret
From: Josselin Poiret @ 2022-02-13  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos, Antonio Carlos Padoan Junior; +Cc: Mikhail Kryshen, guix-devel

Hello everyone,

Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> writes:
> I think that ideally, the tramp package in Guix would be patched to
> recognise ~/.guix-profile/etc/profile and /etc/profile (when present,
> on the remote machine) and use that to determine the PATH for the
> remote machine (or some other system, whatever works) .
>
> Thne tramp would work out-of-the-box, without having to consult a
> cookbook or manual and without having to know that this information is
> located there.
>
> Greetings,
> Maxime.

Unfortunately, this would only work for Guix-to-Guix tramp connections.
I think the generic 'tramp-own-remote-path is better suited for this, as
it uses the login shell of the target user to find the proper PATH,
something that is much more robust than TRAMP's default (and works 100%
with Guix).  Maybe it could belong in a `Guix-specific application
setup tips` section in the cookbook or manual?

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret

* Re: emacs tramp in remote guix
@ 2022-02-16 10:43             ` Max Brieiev
From: Max Brieiev @ 2022-02-16 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Also in latest master, Emacs exposed new user options
connection-local-profile-alist and connection-local-criteria-alist.

On guix machine dired complained, when I used /sudo:: about missing ls command,
and the following fixed it for me:

(add-to-list 'connection-local-profile-alist
             '(tramp-guix-connection-local (tramp-remote-path tramp-own-remote-path)))

(add-to-list 'connection-local-criteria-alist
             `((:application tramp :protocol "sudo" :machine ,(system-name))
               tramp-guix-connection-local))