Danny Milosavljevic writes: > Hi Marius, > > On Mon, 07 Nov 2016 11:36:51 +0000 > Marius Bakke wrote: > >> That's it! This makes it pick up (bootloader (grub-configuration (grub >> grub-efi))) from my config.scm: >> >> making '/gnu/store/kgk9rrawq9fxh1g2j6121gl3lcz47395-system' the current system... >> Installing for x86_64-efi platform. >> Installation finished. No error reported. >> >> Even though I'm now working on multi-platform grub, I think we should >> have this anyway so that the "grub" argument works as expected. WDYT? > > Yes, I agree that grub should not be magically picked up but rather be read from the configuration - as you do here. This makes alternative bootloaders possible and is also less surprising in any case. > > Also in guix/scripts/system.scm in perform-action there's a (setenv "PATH" ...) form. I think that one should be replaced, too - for much the same reasons. It would be better to just pass grub to install-grub* (which would need its parameter list adapted) instead of mucking with PATH :P > > In this way the package variable would flow from the os configuration all the way to the actual "grub-install" invocation call without magical environment variables, packages that just happen to be pulled in from some imported module etc. > > If you want, you can also fix this one up, too. (If not, I'll wait until your stuff is merged and fix it myself - no worries) > > A first test whether it was enough is to remove the #:use-module (gnu packages grub) from guix/scripts/system.scm and see whether it still works (it should). For clarity I would make the final patch remove it, too. Hi Danny! You raise some very good points. The patch I just sent indeed works without #:use-module (gnu packages grub), so that should be included. Passing the grub object to grub-install seems like it is better suited for a separate patch. I have a couple of other things on my list before ready to hack on grub-install (need to pass "--efi-directory" somehow), but happy to review any work on it. Attached is the same patch without loading the grub module. Would be great to clear this out of the patch queue. Thanks a lot! :)