all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Daniel Drake <silophophe@gmail.com>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Problems adding multiple file systems (e.g., /home partition)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 13:57:33 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello!

Daniel Drake <silophophe@gmail.com> skribis:

> I've noted the dependencies member of the file-system object:  "This
> is a list of <file-system> objects representing file systems that must
> be mounted before (and unmounted after) this one."
>
> In the preamble, I define the root file-system:
>
>   (define vol-root (file-system  (device "vol-root")  (title 'label)
> (mount-point "/")  (type "ext4")))
>
> Then I add the root file system to the file-systems list, along with
> the file-system for the home directory:
>
>   (operating-system
>     (file-systems
>       (cons*
>         vol-root
>         (file-system  (device "vol-home")  (title 'label)
> (mount-point "/home")  (type "ext4")  (dependencies '(vol-root)) )

This should be:

  (dependencies (list vol-root))

> I found a related issue in one of the IRC logs that modified the
> dependencies argument like this:
>   (dependencies (list vol-root))

… which you already found.  :-)

> within the file-system object for the home directory.
> In that instance, the error seems almost resolvable:
> guix system: error: `file-system-/home' requires 'file-system-/',
> which is not provided by any service

Right.

In fact, the root file system is always mounted before anything else, so
the ‘dependencies’ field here is unneeded.

(That case could be handled more gracefully though.)

So in short, all you need is to write things like this:

  (operating-system
    ;; …
    (file-systems (list (file-system (device "vol-root") …)
                        (file-system (device "vol-home") …))))

without any ‘dependencies’ field.

HTH!

Ludo’.