So that ~30 or so additional CVEs that we’d need to look at. >> In the patch, I added the ability to specify a ‘patched-vulnerabilities’ >> property to work around that (with Coreutils as an example). The >> downside is that we’d have to maintain these lists by ourselves, which >> is not great, but might still be better than the status quo. > > Overall, I think it's better for the CVE checker to omit some CVEs than > to show a large number of false positives. Otherwise people may not pay > attention to it at all. And the CVE checker will never be authoritative; > Guix developers have to look for security advisories from a wide variety > of sources. > > I wonder if we could maintain the set 'patched-vulnerabilities' fields > satisfactorily. > > Changing the subject, this implementation of 'patched-vulnerabilities' > doesn't preserve the valuable information of how we know the > vulnerability was fixed (patch? update? only applicable to non-GNU > platforms? et cetera). > > If we were to start collecting and curating this information, we should > try to preserve it and make it useful to the other distros. Right, we’d need to add a clear comment to each vulnerability that we mark as patched. > In that case, we could instead update the CVE database through MITRE's > new CVE form, which recently became the only way to get new CVEs from > MITRE: > > https://cveform.mitre.org > > I think the goal is to reduce the friction of requesting and amending > CVEs. Let's try it :) Yes, that’s what I thought. But either way, that’s quite a bit of non-trivial work. What about raising the issue on oss-sec? Ideally the QEMU folks would take care of labeling QEMU’s CVEs, the libxml2 folks would take care of theirs, etc. Thanks for your feedback! Ludo’.