all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* difficulty getting networking working on new install
@ 2018-08-01 18:36 Benjamin Slade
From: Benjamin Slade @ 2018-08-01 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I'm having some trouble getting networking up on my new GuixSD
install. Using the livecd (which I installed with), I used
wpa_supplicant+dhclient (as per
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Preparing-for-Installation.html)
and that worked without issue, but the same method didn't work on my
actual install. (it seems to try to use IPv6?) I ultimately want to use
NetworkManager, but I just wanted to get some sort of connection working
to start with.

I have included in my `config.scm` the "%desktop-services" bit, so I
thought this should provide NetworkManager, but I don't seem able to use
it (I'm not sure how to configure it in guixsd, and I also find no
applet.)

This is the config.scm I've ended up with:

;; This is an operating system configuration template
;; for a "desktop" setup with GNOME and Xfce where the
;; root partition is encrypted with LUKS.

(use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss) (gnu packages lisp) (gnu packages wm))
(use-service-modules desktop)
(use-package-modules certs gnome wm)

(operating-system
  (host-name "guixy")
  (timezone "US/Mountain")
  (locale "en_GB.utf8")

  ;; Use the UEFI variant of GRUB with the EFI System
  ;; Partition mounted on /boot/efi.
  ;; -> actually using BIOS because guixsd 0.15 live usb didn't probe efi
;  (bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/sda")))
  (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
                (bootloader grub-bootloader)
                (target "/dev/sda")))

  ;; Specify a mapped device for the encrypted root partition.
  ;; The UUID is that returned by 'cryptsetup luksUUID'.
  (mapped-devices
   (list (mapped-device
          (source (uuid "79c67b23-d4ac-4be9-a617-9d83beed9694"))
          (target "guiksdelux")
          (type luks-device-mapping))
	  ))

  (file-systems (cons* (file-system
                        (device "/dev/mapper/guiksdelux")
                        (mount-point "/")
                        (type "ext4")
                        (dependencies mapped-devices))
                       %base-file-systems))

  (users (cons (user-account
                (name "emacsomancer")
                (comment "E. Max O'Mancer")
                (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
                                        "audio" "video"))
                (home-directory "/home/slade"))
               %base-user-accounts))

  ;; Add GNOME and/or Xfce---we can choose at the log-in
  ;; screen with F1.  Use the "desktop" services, which
  ;; include the X11 log-in service, networking with
  ;; NetworkManager, and more.
  (packages (cons* sbcl-stumpwm awesome ;window managers
		   nss-certs                      ;for HTTPS access
                   gvfs              ;for user mounts
                   %base-packages))

  ;; Use the "desktop" services, which include the X11
  ;; log-in service, networking with NetworkManager, and more.
(services (cons*  (xfce-desktop-service)
		   %desktop-services))

  ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
  (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss))

* Re: difficulty getting networking working on new install
@ 2018-08-02  8:31 ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-08-02  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Slade; +Cc: help-guix

Benjamin Slade <beoram@gmail.com> writes:

> I ultimately want to use NetworkManager, but I just wanted to get some
> sort of connection working to start with.
>
> [...]
>
> I have included in my `config.scm` the "%desktop-services" bit, so I
> thought this should provide NetworkManager, but I don't seem able to use
> it (I'm not sure how to configure it in guixsd, and I also find no
> applet.)
>
> This is the config.scm I've ended up with:
>
> [...]
>
> (services (cons*  (xfce-desktop-service)
> 		   %desktop-services))

I'm not sure how to access Network Manager from within Xfce.  Within
GNOME, you can access it via the usual "All Settings" applet.  In Xfce,
at the very least you could fire up a terminal and use "nmcli" or
"nmtui", which should be installed in your system profile by default
when you have the NetworkManager service installed.

Hope that helps - good luck!

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: difficulty getting networking working on new install
@ 2018-08-02 12:22   ` vikram sai balaji ulaganathan
From: vikram sai balaji ulaganathan @ 2018-08-02 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: help-guix

To add to it, you may have to restart networking service using herd command
like herd stop networking and herd start networking. Wep connection may
need to be marked as wpa in nmtui
Thanks
Vikram

@ 2018-08-03 17:02   ` Benjamin Slade
From: Benjamin Slade @ 2018-08-03 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: help-guix

 > at the very least you could fire up a terminal and use "nmcli" or
 > "nmtui", which should be installed in your system profile by default
 > when you have the NetworkManager service installed.

Thanks, Chris, this did help immensely. I've used other tools in the
commandline and NetworkManager as an applet in the gui, but I've never
used NetworkManager via the commandline and so I didn't even realise
that the relevant applications were called "nmcli" & "nmtui" (I was
trying to run `NetworkManager` in the terminal). (I wonder if this is
worth throwing into the manual somewhere [unless it's there already and
I missed it], since these seem to be the default networking tools
included in the 'desktop package'.)

--
Benjamin Slade - https://babbagefiles.xyz
  `(pgp_fp: ,(21BA 2AE1 28F6 DF36 110A 0E9C A320 BBE8 2B52 EE19))