all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Cuirass logo - artwork.
@ 2021-01-08  9:31 Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2021-01-08  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

I have started some heavy background work on Cuirass including its port
to PostgreSQL and a new remote building mechanism.

I think it would be nice to give the project a nice logo that could be
displayed on the web interface, and maybe on an hypothetical project
page.

A 'Cuirass' is a piece of armour in metal[1]. That could be a starting
point for a future logo. Anybody willing to help :)?

Thanks,

Mathieu

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuirass

* Re: Cuirass logo - artwork.
@ 2021-01-08  9:50 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2021-01-08  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe, guix-devel

Hi!

Thanks again for all the efforts you are putting into Cuirass!

Since we are on the topic, I have 2 questions:

- Why is it called "Cuirass"? :p

- Why the move to PostgreSQL?

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Cuirass logo - artwork.
@ 2021-01-08 18:19   ` Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2021-01-08 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello Pierre,

> - Why is it called "Cuirass"? :p

No idea, you would have to ask Mathieu Lirzin about it!

> - Why the move to PostgreSQL?

At first I thought that all the performance issues we had were caused by
unoptimized SQL queries. Turns out it was only half of the problem.

As we have multiple processes accessing the database (cuirass,
cuirass-web, cuirass-send-events and now remote-server), we are falling
into the architecture model that is very badly supported by SQLite: many
readers and many readers across several processes[1].

I also noticed that SQLite doesn't handle I/O pressure on the hard drive
the database is sitting on. I had to mount the database file on a tmpfs
directory to get around this issue[2].

Finally, SQLite doesn't offer any real monitoring solution, requires
periodical vacuuming and is really hard to configure[3].

As stated on SQLite website: "SQLite does not compete with client/server
databases. SQLite competes with fopen()."

I've been running Cuirass using a PostgreSQL database, and without any
particular tuning everything works smooth, which makes me regret to have
waited so long to leap the breach.

Thanks for you interest,

Mathieu

[1]: https://softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/340550/why-are-concurrent-writes-not-allowed-on-an-sqlite-database
[2]: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/43850
[3]: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Performance/Avoid_SQLite_In_Your_Next_Firefox_Feature

* Re: Cuirass logo - artwork.
@ 2021-01-08 18:35 ` Jonathan Brielmaier
From: Jonathan Brielmaier @ 2021-01-08 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe, guix-devel; +Cc: sirgazil

On 08.01.21 10:31, Mathieu Othacehe wrote:> I think it would be nice to
give the project a nice logo that could be
> displayed on the web interface, and maybe on an hypothetical project
> page.

It would be, so we can have a favicon :) And I can find my cuirass
server better in the forest of browser tabs...

> A 'Cuirass' is a piece of armour in metal[1]. That could be a starting
> point for a future logo. Anybody willing to help :)?

Maybe Luis Felipe López Acevedo (aka sirgazil) has some ideas. With our
current Guix logo he gave us something pretty nice...

~Jonathan

* Re: Cuirass logo - artwork.
@ 2021-01-08 19:26 ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2021-01-08 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Hey :)

> I think it would be nice to give the project a nice logo that could be
> displayed on the web interface, and maybe on an hypothetical project
> page.

I'll give it a try. I'll let you know if I come up with something.

> A 'Cuirass' is a piece of armour in metal[1].

Eh, I had no idea. I imagined everything but this :)

* Re: Cuirass logo - artwork.
@ 2021-01-09 10:13     ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2021-01-09 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe; +Cc: guix-devel

Mathieu Othacehe <othacehe@gnu.org> writes:

> At first I thought that all the performance issues we had were caused by
> unoptimized SQL queries. Turns out it was only half of the problem.
>
> As we have multiple processes accessing the database (cuirass,
> cuirass-web, cuirass-send-events and now remote-server), we are falling
> into the architecture model that is very badly supported by SQLite: many
> readers and many readers across several processes[1].
>
> I also noticed that SQLite doesn't handle I/O pressure on the hard drive
> the database is sitting on. I had to mount the database file on a tmpfs
> directory to get around this issue[2].
>
> Finally, SQLite doesn't offer any real monitoring solution, requires
> periodical vacuuming and is really hard to configure[3].
>
> As stated on SQLite website: "SQLite does not compete with client/server
> databases. SQLite competes with fopen()."
>
> I've been running Cuirass using a PostgreSQL database, and without any
> particular tuning everything works smooth, which makes me regret to have
> waited so long to leap the breach.
>
> Thanks for you interest,

Very interesting, thanks for sharing your experience.  Worth a blog post
in my opinion ;)

Cheers!

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Cuirass logo - artwork.
@ 2021-01-10  0:04   ` Luis Felipe via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Luis Felipe via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2021-01-10  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org, Mathieu Othacehe

Here is my proposal:

https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/media/2021/01/cuirass-logo-proposal-2021-01-09.png

Column 1 is a text-based logo where the S characters are supposed to represent integration. Column two is the same logo but uses an icon instead of the S characters to represent the same concept.

Variants A, B, and C only differ in the shape of the S characters.

What do you think?

---
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/

* Re: Cuirass logo - artwork.
@ 2021-01-10 15:24     ` Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2021-01-10 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Hello Luis,

> Variants A, B, and C only differ in the shape of the S characters.
>
> What do you think?

Woo, that was fast! All your proposals seem terrific to me but I have a
small preference for the design 2B with the blue background.

What do other people think :)?

Many thanks for your help,

Mathieu

* Re: Cuirass logo - artwork.
@ 2021-01-10 15:47       ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2021-01-10 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe, Luis Felipe; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Just my two cents, I prefer:

- A non-white background.
- With the logo (column 2), I think it stick more.
- The black / orange colour which is closer to Guix' own colours.
- The S shape on the B line seems more in line with the rest.

So for me that'd be 2B with the dark background.

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Cuirass logo - artwork.
@ 2021-01-10 18:15     ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2021-01-10 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe, Mathieu Othacehe; +Cc: guix-devel

Luis, Mathieu,

Luis Felipe via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System
distribution. 写道:
> Here is my proposal:
>
> https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/media/2021/01/cuirass-logo-proposal-2021-01-09.png

Like the others I prefer the orange/black colour scheme.  It
integrates better with other Guix sites & the other one has less
positive connotiations.

Row B's ‘S’ just looks off; I prefer C's.  Is this a stock
typeface?

I see ‘integration’ in the logo but not in ‘//’.

The logo comes frustratingly close to ‘CI’ whilst (to my eye)
trying very hard not to :-)  A bit like the name ‘Cuirass’.  Where
did that come from, Mathieu?

Thanks for drawing these up so swiftly!

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Cuirass logo - artwork.
@ 2021-01-10 22:14       ` Luis Felipe via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Luis Felipe via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2021-01-10 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org, Mathieu Othacehe

Hey, Tobias,

From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2021-01-12 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.

Hello Luis,

> About the integration of this logo with the Guix look, I thought that this
> logo was for Cuirass itself, not necessarily for the instance available in
> https://ci.guix.gnu.org/.

I thought it could be nice to use to logo for:

- The Cuirass project page that would be hosted at
  https://guix.gnu.org/cuirass for instance.

- The Cuirass Web UI page to replace or in addition to the Guix logo at
  https://ci.guix.gnu.org.

- The favicon of Cuirass Web UI also at https://ci.guix.gnu.org.

> If Cuirass Web UI supports theming, the Guix instance could easily change the
> branding so that it is uniform with the style that has been used so far to
> name and brand other components. So Guix components like GuixHPC, GuixData,
> GuixCI, GuixDays, and so on, could use the same graphic style.
>
> (Maybe Guix could use a Guile library defining an SXHTML/CSS theme to make it easier to style the websites of the different Guix components)

That's a good idea, having some uniformity between all Guix websites
would be nice.

If there are no more voters, it looks like the 2B logo with the orange
logo is the winner!

Thanks,

Mathieu

* Re: Cuirass logo - artwork.
@ 2021-01-14 15:28           ` Luis Felipe via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Luis Felipe via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2021-01-14 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe
  Cc: Luis Felipe via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution."

> If there are no more voters, it looks like the 2B logo with the orange
> logo is the winner!

I just sent a patch with the source files (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/45863).

Let me know if you need tweaked images for https://ci.guix.gnu.org/.

* Re: Cuirass logo - artwork.
@ 2021-01-14 16:26         ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2021-01-14 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe, Mathieu Othacehe; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Luis, Mathieu,

Luis Felipe 写道:
>> Like the others I prefer the orange/black colour scheme. It
>> integrates better with other Guix sites & the other one has
>> less positive connotiations.
>
> Oh, really?! I know people associate these colors to political
> parties and sports teams depending on the region they live... Is
> there anything else considered negative about the blue-red
> scheme?

Nope.  I could have kept it at ‘the other one has connotations’,
full stop, which is bad enough.  I did like the particular shades
of blue/red you chose.

> By the way, I forgot to mention that the S in B and C variants
> also were supposed to symbolize the continuous part of CI. They
> were supposed to look close to the infinity symbol (drawn
> vertically).

Hmph.  I had the same thought while playing around with your logos
in the GIMP but never made the yuge leap from ‘infinity’ to
‘continuous’...

Drawing a coloured \ behind the uncoloured / of the S made it more
obvious but also more subtle.

Well, Cuirass now has a real logo and a real SQL back-end.  I look
forward to its ensuing world domination.

Thanks be to you both,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Cuirass logo - artwork.