Attached is an earlier version of Paraview (5.9.1) that has been submitted by Ontje (in Cc). @Ludo: there doesn’t seem to be a way to unbundle VTK, because Paraview is closely tied to VTK, reuses its build system to some extent, and is better understood as an *extension* to VTK than a client application using VTK merely as a library. Upstream also commented that unbundling VTK is not a priority and would have to be supported by the community. About the icons: when I run /gnu/store/7x3dxk0kl0rc1sw673z51cfran7q6hf1-paraview-5.9.1/bin/paraview I don’t see most icons. Even when I install it into a profile that has adwaita-icon-theme and run it from the profile in a new shell session the icons are not displayed. According to strace the icons are found (after searching in all the wrong places — probably an opportunity for performance improvement), but they are not displayed. This is the same problem as https://issues.guix.gnu.org/29905. The problem disappears when QT_PLUGIN_PATH is set. I tested this by installing qtsvg@5 in my profile alongside paraview-5.9. The icons show up. So I suggest wrapping the executables in QT_PLUGIN_PATH just as we did for krita and itk-snap. -- Ricardo