all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Peter Polidoro <peter@polidoro.io>
To: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Thank you for using Emacs
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 09:10:37 -0400	[thread overview]

MSavoritias <email@msavoritias.me> writes:

> I go to the manual to learn package management,
> https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Package-Management
>
> Apparently i have to either use the terminal or something called
> emacs.
> If I follow the guide located here:
> https://emacs-guix.gitlab.io/website/manual/latest/emacs-guix.html#Installation
>
> It says to install emacs-guix. Okay. So apparently it is an
> Emacs thing,
> whatever that means. And when you start Emacs after installing
> the
> package, you are going to end up with Emacs in its plain form.
> Unfamiliar keybindings, no autocomplete, etc. Well thats no to
> Emacs
> then. The other thing is the terminal apparently. Horrible, but
> at least
> it works.

You make a very good point, being exposed to Emacs for the very
first time in this way would be a terrible experience and listing
alternative options would be very beneficial.

However, I would just like to say "Thank you!" to everyone here
for using Emacs in the manual.

For my entire career in hardware engineering, I have felt like an
outcast for using Emacs and being passionate about free software.
When everyone else on a team or in a company or organization uses
proprietary software only, it is very isolating and career
limiting to stay committed to the free software and hardware
movements.

So while you may not win any popularity contests by using Emacs in
the manual, just know that it is very much appreciated by some of
us.